This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Thanksgiving is about giving and surrounding yourself with the people you love,  but the day after can sometimes sneak its way into one of top holidays because of endless deals, at least in my book.  I’m talking about staying up all night to find style deals and saving some of that precious money that us collegiette’s need to hang on to. So put your mashed potatoes and stuffing aside, and gear up for an all-nighter because Black Friday is upon us and here are some tips on what to buy when you find a bargain for your buck.

Most people think that Black Friday is just for the crazies that want to get plasma screens at Walmart and trample over each other until it’s in their cart and then race to check out, but Black Friday can be a good day to scope out new items and make a few purchases without hitting your bank account too hard.  So don’t get discouraged or overwhelmed at the prospect of Black Friday, browse around and you’ll be sure to find something, but here are some ideas on what to get when you’re cruising around after Thanksgiving just in case you’re coming up blank.

Jackets are one of those items that are extremely necessary once it hits the end of November, but while they are practical and cozy, sometimes paying for one can equal a rent’s pay for the month.  Black Friday is one of those days that since there are extreme sales, buying bigger purchases benefit you more in the long run.  Outwear can be one of the priciest items when shopping around, so be sure to check into large department stores to look for steal deals and it’ll make your Christmas list a little bit lighter in the long run.

Shoes are another item that can cost up to as much as a down payment on a small car, but are almost always discounted when it comes to Black Friday. Whether its boots, heels, loafers, or sneakers, shoes are one of the first items to get marked down because let’s be honest, a new pair of shoes makes us feel like a whole new person, am I right? And companies totally know that girls love a good deal on a new pair of kicks, so why not splurge?  With the weather getting colder and our outerwear changing, it only makes sense to dress accordingly.  So, if you see a pair of boots on sale for a reasonable prince, buy them now before waiting until Christmas season when the prices will be stacked high and our bank accounts will be weeping.

When in a store, it’s hard to look at the price tag of an item you love and feel the wave of disappoint rush through you as you realize you can’t afford that perfect dress that fits in all the right places.  I’m here to tell you, buy the dress. Now, don’t buy the one that costs as much as a new limb but if it’s on sale, what’s the hurt in buying a new sparkly dress for the holidays?  As long as your splurge is still reasonable within your budget, go get it!

Accessories are expensive. Whether it’s a sweet smelling perfume or a brilliant red lipstick, the cost can add up pretty quickly when it comes to beauty products.  Black Friday is the perfect day to pick up that foundation you’ve been lusting after or a new roll-on body perfume that you fell in love with.  It’s better to spend the money on a day that is discounted as opposed to waiting until the holiday season is in full commotion.

Black Friday is the one day where splurging on endless goodies is deemed acceptable, so go crazy! Let’s be honest, we all have the perfect New Year’s Eve outfit in mind, which is the perfect reason to reward ourselves a little after a hard fall semester.  Go hit the stores instead of the books this Friday, collegiettes!