Advice For Freshmen from Sophomores

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Although freshman year came with many excitments, they were often paired with numerous anxieties.  As freshmen countinue to settle into their new homes, we asked new sophomores from across the country to reveal  their most important piece of advice for floundering freshmen.

Don’t wait until second semester to involve yourself, understand that friends come and go, and grow and change a lot throughout freshman year, it’s OK and normal to feel “unstable” in your friend group as you go. Stay positive. If the people you surround yourself with are not positive and don’t lift you up, they’re not “your people.” –Darragh McLaughlin, University of Rhode Island

Don’t be afraid to seek out help or ask questions. It’s OK to feel lost sometimes, but also know you will eventually find your way.  –Patty Kohn, Saint Michael’s College

Get outside of your comfort zone. In college people really don’t care about what you do so find something that makes you happy and surround yourself with people who will be positive influences on your life. Also realize that it isn’t the end of the world if you fail a test, put on five pounds, or eat lunch by yourself. In the scheme of life it won’t kill you and it really doesn’t matter. If you are given an opportunity take it.  –Hannah Williams, Bentley University

Find balance in everything you do: go out and have fun but remember to study and put in effort where it is needed and stay in touch with friends from home but don’t be afraid to confide in new ones at school.  –Abi Walsh, Saint Michael’s College

Just stay focused on your studies and when you feel like everything is coming down on you and you’re not doing well then just take a deep breath and know that it will all work out. Hard work will get you where you want to be. –Connor Donovan, Northeastern University

Try and get involved as much as possible. –Elizabeth Doherty, Saint Michel’s College

Stay open minded and don’t jump right into a clique of friends because you’ll most likely end up not being as close of friends as you thought.  –Jenna Morley, Saint Anselm College

Always try to get ahead with schoolwork and join a couple on-campus groups; they are a great way to meet people. –Kyle Nichols, Cornell University

Get involved in as much as you can and be outgoing. Meet new faces. Remember everyone’s in the same position as you so don’t be nervous.  –Shannon Kelley, Saint Michael’s College

Finding friends in college is scary and you’ll constantly compare them to your friends from home but you’ll eventually find your people. It may not be freshman year and that’s okay you’ll learn who your friends are and who needs to go but you need to be open to whatever happens and just know it will all work out in the end. –Kristen Alexander, UMass Amherst

Don’t get discouraged when your friends from home are making new friends at school. I know it may feel like you’re being replaced but nothing can replace the bonds you have from growing up together.  –Phoebe Low, Saint Michael’s College

Make sure you don’t forget about the boys at home. But try to get some boys at school too without sacrificing your grades.  –Zack Wyman, Providence College

Get involved with anything you can. –Ryan Hay, Saint Michael’s College

I would tell freshmen that your first year is crucial in establishing yourself, so get involved early on, commit to the things you are passionate about, and work hard — but don’t overwork yourself! Have fun and devote time to yourself because your mind will definitely need it. –Meghan Hurley, Wake Forrest University

Remember that you’re not alone in how you feel during this transition. –Julia Driscoll, Pace University

Meet as many people as you can and get involved. Always remember that you are more important than your grades. –Katie O’Donoghue, Saint Michael’s College

Expect that it’s going to be hard! –Becky Wandel, UMass Amherst

CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.