5 Things All Political Science Majors Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.
  1. You feel a strong obligation to pay attention to the news Even though you have a lot of interest in current events, and actually like watching the news, sometimes you can feel a little overwhelmed. You always feel like you have been ‘caught’ when someone starts chatting about something that has happened recently and you don’t know quite enough information to talk about it intelligently.
  2. You have a lot of feelings about voting You always get super excited to vote (definitely over excited), and have to bite your tongue when people say they habitually don’t vote (especially when they say it is because their vote ‘doesn’t matter’). This means that you end up biting your tongue most of the time, but you are beyond well prepped for a debate if someone steps on your toes just a little too much.
  3. Everyone thinks your only option is law school When you aren’t going to be a doctor, I guess your only other option is lawyer, right? I mean, right? Wrong. Literally so wrong. You do realize that there are vital jobs in every city that center around politics, right?
  4. Coffee is the liquid of the Gods Mostly due to how much reading you have to do, coffee is your savior. It sharpens your focus, and helps you get work done… but it also makes you even more anxious and panicky, which isn’t exactly ideal.
  5. You have 100% at some point or another had detailed delusions of grandeur Pretty much all Poli Sci majors have had thoughts about being the next president, a benevolent dictator of some undisclosed country, the Prime Minister of the U.K., etc. We all, at some point or another, have thought that if only we could get elected, we could fix everything and all of the big issues facing the country would be taken care of. My personal recurring fantasy is of being the Chief of Staff to the President of the United States, the brains behind the charismatic face of  the Free World… yeah, that will definitely happen.