What to do When Your Friends Go Abroad & You Don’t

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Apply for an on campus job or research with a professor

You might find yourself with a lot more time on your hands, especially if a big chunk of your friend group has gone abroad. But why not turn that extra time into a chance to improve your résumé by applying to work in a professor’s lab, or finding a job on or near campus? By doing so, you’ll be able to prove on your résumé that you can be independent and responsible outside of the classroom, and have the chance to make a little extra cash.

Focus on yourself and grades

Your circle of friends completes your social life which, as we all know, can sometimes overshadow your homework, or that essay due on Friday. When your friends go abroad, it will give you a chance to hone in on due dates, and you might even get work done faster because there will be less social distractions. And hopefully, you will be able to see an improvement in your grades. In addition, self care in college is really important, but can sometimes be hard when your friends are with you almost all hours of the day! With your friends gone, take some time to focus on yourself, which can include spending the night in and watching Netflix, or exploring new places solo.

Join a club & make new friends

Lastly, with your friends gone for a semester, it’s the best excuse to branch out and make new friends! Joining a club or getting involved in volunteering near campus is a great way to meet new people. And I would definitely suggest looking into joining the Her Campus chapter at your school! It’s a fun way to expand your circle of friends, and the Her Campus chapter at SLU is friendly, welcoming, and an overall good time.

Writer & Editor for Her Campus at Saint Louis University. All things Buffalo, biomedical engineering, coffee, mental health, and Justin Bieber.