The Best Books to Get You Thinking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

I firmly believe reading feeds the soul and provides a foundation for introspection and understanding. Below, I’ve included a list of books that have really spoken to me and shaped a lot of my views and thoughts!

1. “Women, Earth, and Creator Spirit” by Elizabeth Johnson

“Women, Earth, and Creator Spirit” was brought to my attention by the lovely Hannah Gilroy, a fellow public health major and feminist. This book was my first introduction to ecofeminism and the interaction between feminism and spirituality. I’d never really connected the three and chose to keep them separate. I was a feminist, environmentalist, and Christian but never all three in one entity. This book isn’t for everyone, but if you’re interested in the intersectionality of ecofeminism and faith, or if you just want to get a general idea of what that even means, this is a great first introduction read!

2. “Oryx and Crake” by Margaret Atwood

“Oryx and Crake” had me shook. It’s kind of depressing if I’m being honest, but also super interesting. It’s written by the all-knowing goddess Margaret Atwood and delves into the concepts of eugenics and genetic engineering – specifically, their consequences. Furthermore, the book touches on what will happen to the earth if things don’t start changing. Super scary and interesting!

3. “Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption” by Bryan Stevenson

I’m sure everyone who goes to SLU is pretty familiar with this book, but I thought I’d still give it a shout out. “Just Mercy” follows Bryan Stevenson’s journey through the broken system of justice as a young, idealistic lawyer. The book draws attention to the deep-seated issues of racial discrimination and injustice in the law, making it a very thought-provoking read.

4. “We Should All Be Feminists” by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

“We Should All Be Feminists” is really awesome. It talks about 21st century feminism and what being a woman in today’s society even means. Adichie centers her argument around inclusion and awareness and examines often overlooked institutional behaviors that marginalize women. Additionally, Adichie addresses the stigma that’s associated with the word “feminism” and how the word isn’t something shameful or angry, but rather, something empowering and beautiful. It’s super informative and rather funny. I also highly recommend her TEDx talks; they’re amazing!

5. “The Lorax” by Dr. Seuss

I highly recommend reading this book, like right now. I know a lot of people read this book as kids, but rereading this book as an adult is seriously crazy. It’s mind-blowing and provides a seemingly simplistic narrative of the potential effects of consumerism and greed on the environment. It’s also important to note that this book was published in 1971 and then reflect on where we are now as a society.

6. “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” by Rebecca Skloot

“The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” is an incredibly interesting book centered around scientific discovery and its exploitations of others. Henrietta Lack had cells taken from her without her knowledge, which were vital for developing the polio vaccine, advancements in in vitro fertilization, etc. Additionally, her cells became the first “immortal” human cells and launched a multimillion-dollar industry – from which neither she or her family saw any of the profit. The book follows the nonconsensual exploitation of the Lacks family in the name of scientific discovery and delves into dark, important issues, including the history of experimentation on African Americans and legal battles on whether we control the stuff we are made of.

Writer for Her Campus at Saint Louis University. Passionate about public health, conspiracy theories, friendship, brunch, intersectional feminism, and Mark Ruffalo.