8 Netflix Shows for Finals Study Breaks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

As finals szn approaches, it is important to maintain a good work ethic and high morale, but it is also important to take some well-deserved time for yourself. Self-care comes in many forms, and for some people, it’s most effective when detaching themselves from the stresses of life. While I’m not encouraging 8-hour binge sessions instead of studying, immersing yourself in some lighthearted Netflix could be one of the best options for a nice break. Nothing busts test tension like good ol’ fashion laughs! Here’s a nice little list with some descriptions of shows that are worth considering.

1. Nailed It!

It’s easy to become invested in the suspense of baking competitions, but this show is more focused on humor found within human error than the bakers’ skills. Nailed It! is a Netflix original that follows along as mostly-unskilled average joes attempt to recreate baking masterpieces for a $10,000 prize. As expected, hilarity ensues during the process, but especially when the finished products are presented.

2. Parks and Recreation  

Typically coming in at just under 25 minutes, Parks and Rec is a mockumentary style show that is easy for a quick watch and some good laughs. Optimistic public servant Leslie Knope epitomizes girl power. But disclaimer: particularly addictive characters and a storyline that I always seem to get caught up in makes it hard to stick with just one episode. 

3. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

When Kimmy Schmidt is rescued after 15 years in a cult bunker, she attempts to reclaim the life she missed out on while adapting to modern life in New York City. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is written by Tina Fey (who also makes appearances), so you can be sure laughs are guaranteed (but just a heads up: the theme song is an earworm).

4. Friends

Even though it wrapped in 2004, a lot of the 20-something shenanigans that Ross, Monica, Rachel, Joey, Phoebe, and Chandler get into remain relevant more than a decade later. Though one of the best parts of this series is the storyline, it’s also easy to pop on and enjoy a random episode. 

4. New Girl

Who’s that girl? It’s Jess, the lovable, upbeat, and awkwardly relatable young adult who, after going through a rough breakup, moves in with three single dudes. The show combines drama and comedy in a way that keeps watchers hooked from the start. Hit me up if anyone is looking to play a game of True American.

5. The Good Place

Despite being an all-around bad person during her life on Earth, Eleanor Shellstrop wakes up in a utopia deemed The Good Place. The Good Place discusses intelligent subjects such as religion, ethics, and the afterlife using comedy and wit. 

6. Round Planet

Using the footage from nature documentary Planet Earth, BBC’s Round Planet features the true, well-captured beauty of nature alongside hilariously sarcastic narration. “This clam is not ready to become chowder and gives the sea star the finger. Or is that the foot?” 

7. That 70’s Show

This Wisconsin-based comedy combines humor, nostalgia for a decade before our time— and the face of a young Ashton Kutcher makes it that much more enjoyable. Coming-of-age has never been funnier.

8. The Office (US)

Funny business, taken literally. As some might claim, The Office is the mockumentary predecessor to Parks and Rec. Nothing can truly beat (beet?) the antics of Jim and Dwight, or Michael Scott’s one-liners. If you’ve watched it before, rewatching your favorite episodes can make a day of hitting the books a little less mind-numbing. You didn’t think I’d forget to include it, did you?   

Whether you SLUdents take a break with one of these shows or no Netflix at all, please make sure to take care of yourself during finals. I believe in you!

Just two dogs in a trench coat. Senior, double majoring in Environmental Studies and Communications- Journalism and Media Studies at Saint Louis University. Tea drinker, sorority woman, smartphone addict. Save the bees, take care of yourself, & validate me by following on Instagram @happilyevertomi