Style > Beauty

7 No-Makeup Beauty Hacks to Help You Feel Great and Conquer the Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Although life isn’t only about appearances, looking put together has become essential for professional, and sometimes even classroom, settings. However, putting a ton of time and effort into a daily morning routine is not ideal for everyone, and certainly not possible when you’re running late to class or work. Luckily, there are ways in which you can maintain the flawless image you wish to convey to the world, while not wearing any makeup and putting in minimal work and effort. Makeup can be beautiful, but makeup is not the key to beauty. Here are seven ways you can go makeup free and still look and feel amazing!

1. Exfoliation Celebration

There’s no doubt that you were born with a naturally beautiful face, but a little bit of cleansing is never a bad idea. Pick up your favorite wash or scrub and give your face a nice cleanse to remove any oil or dirt build up from the night before. A face brush also really helps with this, as the bristles usually scrub out tiny dirt particles from your pores! This should leave your face looking fresh and clean, which feels good when starting your day.

2. For a Healthy Glow, Moisturizing Is the Way to Go

After cleansing and scrubbing your face, it is always a good idea to put moisturizer on to keep your face glowing and hydrated throughout the day. Select a moisturizer that works for your skin type, whether your face is oily, dry, or a combination of the two, there is bound to be a moisturizer out there that fits all your facial needs. A plant-based or organic moisturizer is always best, as it has natural ingredients that won’t dry out your skin over time, but big name-brand companies often make facial moisturizers that work well too. Face oils such as Argan oil also work as a great, natural moisturizer, depending on your type of skin.

Tip: After moisturizing, lightly pinch the skin around your cheeks in order to create blood flow. This will give you a nice, natural flush without using any blush!

3. Eyebrows on Fleek

Eyebrows play a big role in shaping a face so it’s important to sculpt them whatever way works best for you! Whether you wax, pluck, thread, or don’t do anything, it is important to comb through your brows with a spoolie every once in a while to tame the unruly hairs. Also, if you have really unruly eyebrows, comb through with a brow gel or wax to keep them looking on point during the day.

4. Your Smile Is Your Best Accessory

White and clean teeth have always been a trait associated with health and beauty. A great way in which you can achieve this is simply by brushing your teeth before heading out for the day. Along with this, mouthwash, floss, and whitening strips are also great means of achieving a radiant smile, but time and cost play a factor into whether or not these steps work for you personally.

Tip: Use your toothbrush after brushing your teeth to scrub your lips. This removes all the dead skin on your lips and promotes blood flow, in turn creating plump and smooth lips.

5. Combat the Chap

A good chapstick will moisturize your lips for a short while, but a great chapstick will leave your lips feeling luscious all day long. A great way to un-chap your lips for a long period of time is finding all natural or organic/plant-based brands, free of ingredients such as alcohol that will dry out your lips. Find what brand works for your lips and budget, and apply it to have smooth lips for a long time!

Tip: A pink tint in a chapstick can really help to brighten up your face, so if you can find a chapstick like this that works for you, try it out and see if you like it!

6. Eyelashes All Up in Curls

Mascara is an essential part of any beauty routine, but let’s be honest, sometimes you just don’t have the time or energy to continually coat your lashes in black goop, and then spend extra time cleaning up the residue you accidentally get on your eyelids later. A more natural looking way of achieving long lashes is with an eyelash curler. You can pretty much find an eyelash curler at any drug store, or beauty supply store, out there in a variety of brands and prices. Pick one that works for you, and use it to curl each set of lashes, holding it down on the root of your lashes for about 10 seconds per eye. This should give you a long-lasting curl, and a full, perky set of lashes!

Tip: If time permits, heat up your eyelash curler by using the hot setting on your blow-dryer for about 5 seconds per eye. This will create the same effect that a curling iron would have on your hair, but for your eyelashes. By doing this the curl will last longer, and make your lashes even more voluminous.

7.  It’s Always Wise to Accessorize

Wearing a cute pair of earrings, or a fun headband can really make all the difference in your look for the day. If you have your ears pierced, find a pair of cute, easy-to-put-in earrings and wear those. Or if you don’t happen to have your ears pierced, clip-ons are always a fun idea, along with just wearing a cute hat, necklace, headband, or anything you really feel comfortable wearing that you believe will enhance your look and face for the day!