sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Top Netflix Conspiracy Documentaries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Conspiracy theories are awesome, and, oftentimes, my fuel for the day. I’ve compiled a list of top conspiracy theory documentaries that are seriously spooky and informative. They’re also all on Netflix, so you know what to do with your Thanksgiving break!

1. A Good American

A Good American is a documentary about the rise of surveillance after 9/11, and it’s big-time crazy. The documentary follows a program called ThinThread, and the former NSA technical director, Bill Binney. In this film, an NSA team creates a surveillance tool that can pick up any electronic signal on earth, filter it for targets, and render results in real-time, while keeping the privacy as demanded by the US constitution. The documentary follows the results and consequences these technological advances. It’s super interesting, so try to check it out!

2. Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret

I love this documentary, and it’s my definite favorite. Cowspiracy follows environmentalist Kip Andersen, as he seeks to find the real solution to the most pressing environmental issues and true path to sustainability. The documentary gets into the devastating, detrimental impact of large-scale factory farming on our planet, and why the world’s leading environmental agencies are afraid to talk about it. It’s so interesting, and has definitely changed my outlook on the foods I eat!

3. GasLand

Gasland is another documentary about environmental issues, and this one is about fracking. The film focuses around communities in the U.S. that are affected and exploited by the fracking industry, and the toll the fracking industry takes on their health. Gasland address all the chronic health issues that are directly traceable to the contamination of communities’ air and water from fracking. Additionally, this documentary was at the forefront of the anti-fracking movement that began in the U.S., and is seriously enlightening. Fracking is still such a huge issue in the U.S., and it’s important to educate yourself on it.

4. Zeitgeist: The Movie

Zeitgeist: The Movie is one of three documentaries in the Zeitgeist series that cover very fascinating conspiracy theories. Zeitgeist: The Movie, however, is my favorite, and by far the creepiest. The documentary makes connections between the relationships of organized religion, war, terror, and the economy. It’s quite creepy, and definitely gets into your head for a good bit. So, of course, I highly recommend it.

5. The Untold History of the United States

This documentary presents a lot of underrated, unlearned history of the U.S. It documentary analyzes events and people that were crucial to America’s history, specifically during the 20th century, and why this information has been manipulated out of the generic narrative of the U.S. Very informative.

Writer for Her Campus at Saint Louis University. Passionate about public health, conspiracy theories, friendship, brunch, intersectional feminism, and Mark Ruffalo.
Founder and former Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Saint Louis University. Graduating in May 2020 with degrees in Public Health and Women's and Gender Studies. Committed to learning about and spreading awareness for a more self-aware public health field, intersectional feminism, and college radio. Retweet this bio and enter a drawing for a free smartphone!