This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Mental health is necessary for almost all of our everyday actions. In order to feel balanced, it is important to take care of the mental health needs in our lives. There are a lot of easy tools to make sure that you’re mentally prepared. Here are four things you can do:

1. Exercise

Working out thirty minutes just three times a week is good for both physical and mental health. Studies have shown that this simple task reduces depression and anxiety. Exercise can often be as effective as meds. It has all the benefits plus no side effects. Your self-esteem will begin to rise before you know it.

2. Healthy diet

Good eating habits help reduce the risks of depression. The types of foods in your body determine how you function. Simply, the better the food the better your body can function. Focus meals on whole grains, fruits, and vegetables as these will help fuel your body to be prepared for any situation.

3. Real friends

It is important to spend time with emotionally supportive friends. When you are able to be yourself around people it can help boost self-confidence. Often times they fulfill a sense of belonging and purpose. Talking to these friends can help you cope with any sort of problems. This helps release your feelings, which reduces the risk of becoming depressed.

4. A good night’s sleep

Sleeping at least seven hours a night decreases stress. Sleep is the body’s way of recharging. Lack of sleep may lead to a more negative attitude and may impact the likelihood of becoming depressed. While sleeping our brain process the day’s stressors and upon waking up will seem to be more prepared and refreshed. Sleep is essential in maintaining a healthy mindset and positive attitude.

These easy tasks can make an impact on your day to day life. Taking good care of yourself can help prevent any risk of becoming depressed. It is never too late to start loving yourself.

Writer for Her Campus at SLU. Freshman, Studying Psychology and minoring in Women's and Gender studies. Involved in Kappa Delta, Active Minds, and Rainbow Alliance. Passionate about women's rights, mental health, Dobermans, and slushies.