harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

3 Reasons Why You Should Love Yourself Regardless of Your Size

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Media and society put a lot of pressure on people as to what they should look like in terms of body size and proportion. With all this, it’s easy to get wrapped up in the obsession of how you can fit this “perfect” mold of what’s desirable. However, we are all born with different shapes and sizes, and it’s time people start to look beyond what the “right shape” is, and love the uniqueness and variety of sizes in all people. Although I still struggle with this myself sometimes, it is important to recognize that size and image are not the keys to your happiness, no matter how much people say it. It’s on the inside that counts, and, with that, here are 3 reasons why you should love yourself regardless of your size.

1. You are More than a Number

This phrase may be overused and cliché, but if you really start to think about what it means, and internalize it, then it makes all the more sense. You as a person should not be bound to your dress size, weight, pants size, or whatever number in size you were given if it seems dissatisfying to you in anyway. What really matters is who you are as a person. As long as you try your best to be you, to help others, and do what makes you happy in life then a number should not stop you. It’s time we all looked at the bigger picture instead of focusing solely on numbers to define ourselves.

2. Love Conquers All, Seriously​

Whether it’s a romantic partner, a friend/best friend, a sibling, or a parent, there is someone out there in your life that loves you unconditionally, and regardless of what you look like. You bring this person joy in their life no matter what your size or physical appearance is. As human beings, we all deserve and are capable of this kind of unconditional love. Since someone feels that way about you, it’s time you realize that you are worthy, and should love yourself as this person does you.

3. Your Health Comes Before All Else​

Your physical and mental health are more important than achieving a certain weight or figure based on what you see in the magazines and on Instagram. It’s easy to get wrapped up in the world of social media and feel insignificant and unworthy because of it. A good remedy to this is taking a step back for a moment and assessing who you are, why you matter (because you do), and what amazing things you have accomplished in life (everybody has something). Feeling fit, healthy, and good in your own skin are much more important than feeling like you are the shape people want you to be. Eating healthy and exercising regularly are great ways to achieve this positive mindset, as well as doing things you love, and being around positive people. A positive mindset is key when it comes to accepting yourself for who, and what you are.