This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Name: Wilson Espinal

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NYC

Major/minor: Business and Management/Media and Film Studies

Her Campus: Tell us a little bit about your fashion blog.

Wilson: Well, my blog, wilsonismyfirstname.com, is simply a site where I post pictures of myself wearing all types of combinations of clothes, usually pertaining to the environment and season. I then write about what I’m wearing head to toe and sometimes I’ll even give advice on what kind of occasion an outfit would be suited for. It’s a place where I get to showcase my style.

HC: What prompted you to create/start a fashion blog?

Wilson: My friends had told me many times before that I always dress nicely. Admittedly, I started becoming a lot more fashion-conscious when I came to college. I felt that Skidmore provided me with an environment where I was truly free to express myself and fashion was my way to do that. Towards the end of freshman year, my friends and I joked about having a fashion blog; we looked at other fashion bloggers online. At that moment, a part of me felt that I could somehow pull something like that off. So using internship money from the summer, I invested in a nice camera and I expanded my wardrobe, and my blog was born.

HC: How often do you post new blog posts?

Wilson: I always aim to provide something new on a weekly basis. But as I’ve discovered, it can be difficult to keep up that speed when school work is dragging me down, and sometimes even the weather proves to be too much of a problem (too cold, too windy, too rainy). But other than that, I think I’m doing a good job at providing content at a reasonable pace.

HC: How would you describe your style?

Wilson: My style will vary. I’m usually on two different sides of the fashion spectrum. One day I can be wearing a blazer with a pocket square, a button down, fancy shoes, and some pants. Another day I could be wearing sweatpants, boots, a snapback, and a t-shirt. It’ll usually depend on how I feel on a given day. Sometimes I even combine to two “preppy” and “street” styles. Style is so interesting to me because I’m always able to find different combinations of clothing to create new outfits I’ve never worn before.

HC: What fashion and non-fashion icons have inspired you? 

Wilson: I’ll first name my direct inspiration: Adam Gallagher. He’s a well-known fashion and lifestyle blogger with impeccable style. All it took was a look at his blog for me to say, yup, I want to try that too. More of my inspiration also comes from Billy Huxley, a British model who never ceases to amaze with his dapper looks, plus his beard is just too cool. As for non-fashion icons I get subtle inspiration from the likes of Joseph Gordon Levitt (the guy always looks great) and Leonardo DiCaprio (especially ever since The Great Gatsby came out). I’ve even found inspiration from Bruno Mars. These guys are always looking great no matter where they go.

HC: Do you have any advice for people wanting to start their own fashion blog?

Wilson: Go out there and do it. Develop your own unique sense of style. Mess around with your outfits until you’re able to separate yourself from the rest. Don’t be afraid to make a statement. Most importantly, remember that fashion is a form of self-expression. What you wear says a lot about you. 

HC: We also know that you are on the E-board of the Skidmore club, Raíces. Will you tell us about your position?

Wilson: I hold the Public Relations Representative position with Raíces, and will continue to next semester as well. It’s a position I admittedly have too much fun with. As a Latino, what I do with Raíces becomes very personal; it connects me with home and with my roots. I’m driven to put the best stuff I can out there. As the Public Relations Representative, my duty is to communicate Raíces’ mission and purpose to bring awareness to Latino culture. I manage to do this through very creative mediums, such as video and photography. To advertise our events we usually put together funny, short clips. At our Latino banquet this semester I spent 3 weeks putting together a short documentary named “Mis Raíces” on the roots of Skidmore students. It’s something I love doing and I don’t see myself stoping anytime soon.

HC: For those who may not know, would you mind telling us a little bit about Raíces? 

Wilson: First and foremost the word “Raíces” is Spanish for “roots.” Raíces is all about getting in touch with your roots. As a club, we focus on bringing awareness of Latino culture to Skidmore’s campus while also acting as a resource for the Latino students at Skidmore. We encourage anyone who is interested in Latino culture to come to our events and general meetings; we’ll welcome you with open arms. This club has definitely helped me grow as a person, and it has helped me become more in touch with my Dominican roots. Being away from my culture at home was difficult for me at first, but Raíces has helped me get through that and allowed me to express myself and my culture to others.

Blog: wilsonismyfirstname.com

Adam Gallagher: iamgalla.com

Mis Raíces: http://youtu.be/StthJn5ux6M