Why Lists Like “20 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do By 20” Are Irrational

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Last August I turned 20, and in the months preceding I was curious as to what the internet said I should know how to do. One example I found was from Odyssey, and it gave examples such as “Your ring size,” “If a boy cheats on you, leave,” and “Always take pictures.” First of all, I realize that Odyssey articles are individualized by the author, but that can be dangerous for people who do not realize the same thing. I do not wear rings, so I would not know my ring size before I am 20, maybe not before I am engaged (but who knows, my style could change). The second, “If a boy cheats on you, leave,” although I have never personally been in this situation, I can tell you that cheating is a lot more complicated than it looks on television; not everybody is like Owen and Cristina on Grey’s Anatomy. The third, “Always take pictures,” if you read my last article or have had a lot of conversations with me, you know that I think technology is taking over our lives; this is why. If you do not believe me, go watch the episode of Black Mirror entitled “White Bear.”

Although I can tell you that I do not live up to the standards of random Odyssey writers, I do believe that the articles can be harmful. Although these articles are written by college students, many high school students also read and obsess over them. I was one of those high school students. This is where I get technical. According to Erikson’s stages of development theory, people ages 12-18 are seeking approval by peers more than anybody else. What do these lists tell teenagers, and college students, about themselves? What kind of 18-year-old does not know how to drive, or cook a decent meal? As I said, these articles do not take into consideration any sort of differences.

Let’s say, for example, the 20-year-old has Cerebral Palsy (I have Cerebral Palsy). I still do not know how to drive. I can make a mean chocolate chip pancake, but I have limited cooking skills. Also, people who grow up in New York City might not know how to drive, simply because they do not need to.

The fact is, what people should know how to do is individualized by environment and experience, and looking at a list of all the things you should supposedly know how to do and not meeting those standards can be demoralizing.

Morgan Fechter

Skidmore '20

CC of HC Skidmore