Stylish BFFs: Rachel Caldwell ’16 and Rianna Lloyd ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Name: Rachel Caldwell

Year: 2016

Major: English and International Affairs Double Major

Hometown: Orange County, California

Name: Rianna Lloyd

Year: 2016

Major: International Affairs Major, Chinese and French Minors

Hometown: West Hartford, Connecticut

Rachel (right) is wearing a Barbour coat, a shirt from J.Crew, an old skirt from Urban Outfitters, tights, and boots from a cute boutique in California.

Rianna (left) is wearing a scarf from Lucia, a fleece and striped shirt from Uniqlo, fleece lined leggings from Miss Scarlett’s, and boots from DSW! (and socks from H&M).

HC: How would you describe each other’s style?

RC: I would describe Rianna’s clothing as comfort-chic. She always is so cozy but looks ~flawless~ all the time. She has this cool way of throwing together an outfit at the last minute and it just matches! She also loves to wear basic neutrals a lot, which really compliments her look.

RL: Rachel’s style is something that I will always try to emulate yet will never be able to. She always looks so classy and put-together! I don’t know how she does it because I’ve literally seen her throw on clothes and makeup in ten minutes and it will look like she spent an hour getting ready. She dresses much more feminine than me and has definitely taught me a thing or two about how to complete a look. She just always looks chic and classy AF.

HC: What is you favorite thing to steal from each other’s closets?

RC: I love to steal her sweaters and scarves. They can pull together any outfit.

RL: I love all of Rachel’s clothes and would steal all of it if I could without her noticing. But I really like her skirts and tops for going out, so oftentimes when we’re getting ready to go out together I’ll end up stealing something of hers instead (and then conveniently forgetting to return it).

HC: Do you inspire each other in the way that you dress?

RC: Rianna definitely inspires the way I dress! We have really different styles but I notice myself gravitating toward things she would buy. I bought an oversized sweater a while ago and thought immediately “this is something Ri would wear.”

RL: Rachel 100% has inspired the way I dress; she’s actually my only real fashion inspiration. The other day I bought lipstick for the first time and texted her because the way she wears makeup and clothes as a complete look always works so well. She just knows how to tie it all together! My default outfit is leggings and a loose-fitting top with no makeup, so she has totally inspired me to put in a little bit more effort in my look and it’s made me more confident! I don’t think I could ever completely abandon the comfort look, but now I would say I look more presentable because of her.

HC: You have an entire afternoon to shop together. What stores would you hit up?

RC: We love going to thrift and consignment stores together. While I was interning in Washington DC over the summer Rianna came to visit and we had a great time in a little consignment shop called Mustard Seed. But while we’re at Skidmore you can find us at Lucia just like the rest of Skidmore.

RL: Rachel stole my story! We both loved Mustard Seed, a) because that store is awesome but b) because I don’t like to spend a lot on clothes and Rachel likes finding quirky cute clothes so it worked out well for the both of us. But in general, we usually go to the boutiques around town just to see what we can find, and then we go drool at the clothes and jewelry in Lucia for a bit.

Skidmore College