Spring Semester Style Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Second semester can be brutal. Once the beauty and excitement of the holidays have passed, and there are no more pretty lights to make up for the fact that it’s actually dark when you get out of class at 5, the bleakness of Saratoga winters can start to drag down even the best of us. That freezing walk to Harder seems a lot less tolerable when vacation is no longer right around the corner.

Luckily, the beginning of the spring semester (tell me who decided to call it that, it’s very definitely still winter over here) lines up almost perfectly with the beginning of Spring/Summer Fashion Weeks and the release of Pre-Fall Runways from the world’s hottest designers. It may be a little early to start shopping for spring clothes, but what better way to beat the winter blues than by being totally on trend?

Here are some winter essentials, straight off both real runways, and the Skidmore runway (you know, that walk from DHall to Palamountain where you see everyone you’ve ever known) to keep you warm, dry, and looking on top of your game through the darkest depths of second semester.

1. A Solid Pair of Snow Boots

Okay, so maybe we didn’t see that many pairs of snow boots on the Spring/Summer (S/S) ‘15 runways, but they’re still an essential for life at Skidmore. Nothing kills your mood quite like cold toes, wet socks, and having fallen on your butt on the way to class because your shoes didn’t have any traction. Bean Boots are everywhere on campus – instead try some super cute Sorels to keep cozy when there’s a foot of snow on the green. 

2. Fuzzy Coats

Model and Taylor Swift’s BFF, Gigi Hadid, recently rocked a fuzzy white Topshop coat, and since then they’ve been everywhere. They’re perfect for keeping you warm, plus they’re crazy cute and super affordable. Gigi’s exact is totally sold out, but Forever 21 and H&M sell inexpensive similar ones in loads of cool colors. On the more expensive (but still not crazily priced) side, check out Urban Outfitters and Asos.

3. Beanies and Earmuffs

There’s just no question that you need these to survive when it gets cold up here. Pom-Pom beanies are undeniably cute, but someone just walked past me in Case wearing some super furry white earmuffs, and I couldn’t believe how great they looked. If you think the top of your head will be warm enough, definitely pick up a pair. The furriness of the earmuffs and the pompom on the top of the beanie will keep you warm and help you stand out from the crowd!

4. Thigh high boots

These boots are so on trend right now. They cover loads of skin, which is great for keeping you warm, and the height even makes it possible to wear a dress in February and not have your legs freeze solid. Plus, they make your legs look super long! Not only have thigh highs been all over the runways, but they’ve also been seen on the likes of Kendall Jenner and Blake Lively, making for some killer street style.

5. Flare Jeans

These might be more for when it actually starts to feel like spring, but the Seventies have been coming back big time on S/S ’15 runways, and suede and flare jeans are really stealing the show. They’re going to be the coolest thing come spring, so we might as well get on top of the trend now! Topshop sells the most perfect pair I’ve ever seen (modeled by Cara Delevigne,), and American Eagle comes very close. Break out of the skinny jean mold for just a day and give these a go.

Gwen is a senior, English major, and co-CC of Her Campus Skidmore. She spends a lot of time watching Pretty Little Liars and Fixer Upper, listening to music, staring at her comptuer screen and wishing words would come easier, and waiting for the New York Islanders to win another Stanley Cup (preferably at the Coli). Also, she really likes cheese and is trying to learn to skateboard. It's not going very well.