Skidmore Women in Business

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Want to be a part of a group of ambitious women? Co-Presidents Zoe Dartley and Lyssa Jackson (created Skidmore Women in Business for women across all disciplines to engage in leadership. Although this group only recently became an official chapter in the Skidmore network, it has already sparked a lot of interest within the Skidmore community!

Co-Presidents Lyssa Jackson ’16 (left) and Zoe Dartley ’16 (right)

Her Campus: Tell us a little bit about Skidmore Women in Business.

Skidmore Women in Business: While the club has an entrepreneurial aspect, we also have a deep philosophical undercurrent. We encourage our members to constantly analyze their place as a female leader on campus and how they can crack the “glass ceiling” that is preventing all women from fulfilling their potential.

HC: What are the goals and hopes for this club?

SWIB: We have high hopes and many goals. We hope to establish a mentoring network connecting students and alumnus in similar fields of interest. We want to establish a philanthropy branch and hold entrepreneurial events, along with publishing a newsletter for students to share their thoughts about female leadership on campus.

HC: What inspired you to start Skidmore Women in Business?

SWIB: We came across the Women in Business program while browsing the Internet last year. Most clubs were at big universities like Harvard and Boston University and used as a way to unite female business majors and alumnus. We saw an opportunity to implement a program like this at Skidmore, but alter it to fit the liberal arts environment.

The Skidmore Women in Business E-Board: From left to right, Treasurer Leah Docktor, Co-President Lyssa Jackson, Co-President Zoe Dartley, Community Outreach Coordinator Olivia Dynan, and Secretary Emma Marshall

HC: Why should people join Skidmore Women in Business?

SWIB: We look to empower women across all disciplines to engage in leadership, entrepreneurship, philanthropy and philosophical thought. Together we analyze issues women face in the world and determine how to effect change. Members connect each other to opportunities both on- and off-campus and encourage one another to fearlessly lead in typically male-dominated spaces. Through a mentoring program, Skidmore Women in Business strives to build a network of female leaders for tomorrow’s workplace and beyond. Our meetings are inclusive and supportive (and we have tea and candy)! What’s not to love?

[pagebreak]

HC: Do students need to have experience in business in order to participate in the club or can any student join?

SWIB: Skidmore Women in Business is open to anyone regardless of their major or business experience. No matter what career someone chooses after they leave Skidmore, whether they are self-employed or doing psychology research, they will inevitably be involved in business in some way. Women in Business empowers women to be strong and confident leaders in any situation.

Part of this, of course, is knowing how to act in a business environment, which we will constantly be discussing, doing workshops for, and practicing. If someone has more business experience than someone else in the club, it’s a chance for that person to help other members. However, this sharing of knowledge and skills in not limited to business knowledge; it could be anything from how to fix a run in your nylons to how to build your own website.

HC: When are your meetings/discussions?

SWIB: Good question… We have been trying to find a time that works best for all of our busy members. We will be meeting on Tuesday nights from 7-8 until the end of the semester, but this will most likely change to Sunday or Monday nights next semester. Communication is key since our meeting time is up in the air, so “like” us on Facebook (Skidmore Women in Business) for meeting updates. If you would like to be added to the email list, email zdartley@skidmore.edu.

HC: What should we expect from Skidmore Women in Business for the future (i.e. any events, etc.)?

SWIB: We have a panel coming up, which will be our first official event. It will be on Wednesday, December 4th in Gannett Auditorium. The title of the panel is “Do Aggressive Women Win?” Questions that will be introduced include: do women need to be aggressive in the workplace? Is there a pressure to compensate for their supposed inequality amongst men? Is there a “glass ceiling?” If so, how can we break this ceiling? Our speakers include professors from the business and philosophy departments, along with professionals from the area.

On the macro-level, our goals are big. We want to establish a permanent place on campus and facilitate a movement that inspires females to have the confidence to fulfill their potential (which is limitless) as leaders.

If you want to learn more about what they’re doing on campus or how to join, check out their Facebook group or get involved by attending their weekly Tuesday meeting!

A senior at Skidmore College, who loves beagles, batman, and sushi. You can find me dreaming about Anderson Cooper and doing crossword puzzles.