Review: Taylor’s Swift’s “Reputation”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Taylor Swift is a celebrity our generation will never forget. Whether you love her or hate her, you can’t deny that she runs the pop music industry. Taylor Swift has proved this yet again with her most recent album “Reputation”. I’m not going to lie, Taylor Swift could do anything and I would defend her, but I was a little worried about this album. Towards the end of last year, Miss Swift found herself in some sticky situations. I was afraid this album would be about payback as opposed to forgiveness, but it’s not at all. Reputation is about how, despite being the center of negative attention and making mistakes, Taylor Swift has moved on, found real love, and is the happiest she’s ever been.

Taylor Swift told fans that it is important to listen to this album in order, because it tells a story of her life these past few years. Track one, “…Ready For It?” explains how she felt at the beginning of her relationship and track 15, “New Year’s Day” is about how secure she feels in her relationship now.

Not only is the message behind the songs beautiful and unique but the sound is too. Taylor has been leaning towards a pop sound recently and this album is no different, except for the undertones. Swift’s previous album 1989 was based off an 80’s sound, but this album has no specific influence over all and each song is unique in its sound. A favorite of mine, titled “Don’t Blame Me”, has a blues or jazz sound and unlike her others is deeper and darker. Taylor has not completely veered from an 80s sound though, with songs like, “This Is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things” and “Getaway Car” proving that she is still a pop artist and killing it.

Morgan Fechter

Skidmore '20

CC of HC Skidmore