Prim & Polished: 8 New Nail Trends!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Getting tired of the same nail colors every season? We feel your pain. Add some personality and zest to your mani/pedi routine with these fun, new nail trends. Never get bored with that same old “insert-generic-red-color-here” polish again!

1. Newsprint Nails
If you’re looking for a quick way to spruce up your nails, newsprint nails the way to go.  First, start off by painting your nails with a light color (white works best, but other light colors come out well too). After your nails have dried, dip one of your nails in rubbing alcohol. Once your whole nail is wet, place the newspaper on your nail and press down firmly. Hold it on for twenty seconds, then take it off and the print is on your nail!  Make sure you paint a topcoat on afterwards or the text will rub off.

2. Crackle
Crackle nails have made a comeback from this summer and are incredibly easy to do if you’re looking for an artsy or edgy look.  First paint your nails with a base color of your choosing. After your nails have dried add a thin layer of crackle nail polish.  You’ll see the results immediately.  Finish off with a clear topcoat.

3. Sponge Nail Art 
This trend achieves that really artistic look, but isn’t too difficult to accomplish. Sponge nail art gives off that effect. In order to do this with the best results you need a sponge and a few nail colors.  Paint some nail polish onto the sponge and dab it on your nail.  Once it dries take the next color you want to use and repeat the process, leaving the bottom layer of the first color showing.  Keep repeating until you’ve reached your desired look.

4. Magnetic Nail Polish
Your nails are the perfect place to be a little flashy. Magnetic nail polish does just that while still maintaining a classy look.  Although the product made by Nails Inc. (which you can purchase at Sephora!) and only comes in three colors, the results you’ll get are totally unique. Start off by applying one coat. When applying the second coat of the magnetic nail polish, hold a magnet (if you purchase the Nails Inc. brand the cap also serves as a magnet) right above the nail and you’ll get a fun one-of-a-kind ripple effect!

[pagebreak]
5. Marble Nails
Doing marble nail painting is a little bit tricky and time consuming, but then end results make it worthwhile. In order to get the best results, start off by painting on a base color.  When they’ve dried, fill a paper cup about halfway with water.  Then pick some nail polish colors (we recommend 3-4 colors), and put a drop of each into the water and keep repeating until you have a bull’s eye that’s a semi thick.  Take a toothpick and create a design in the nail polish.  Then stick your nail (we recommend putting scotch tape around the finger nail so that it’s not messy) on top of the water.  While your finger is in the water take the toothpick and remove the excess nail polish in the cup.  Once all of the nail polish around your finger is gone take out your nail and check out your cool design.  Repeat the same process with the rest of your nails but change the water every few nails.

6. Feather Nails
If you want a nail style that has a little bit more of a texture, try this dramatic feather trick. In order to do feather nail painting, paint your nails normally then, when the topcoat is still wet, place a feather on top (it works best if you use tweezers).  Using a small pair of scissors cut the feather that extends past your nail.  Apply another topcoat to secure the feathers.

7. Glitter Nails
This new nail style has been gaining more and more popularity. In order to create the glitter look, first apply a basecoat.  While the basecoat is still wet, dip your fingernails in glitter (any type of glitter from a craft store works). Once the basecoat has fully dried, apply a clear topcoat so that the glitter won’t go everywhere, and you’re done!

8. Color Blocking
Color Blocking is a great nail style if you’re looking for a fun way to do your nails with nail polish you have lying around.  Color blocking is simply dividing your nail into different sections and painting with different colors. Begin with the palest color, and paint all of your nails with this that.  After the first layer is dry you can either lightly apply scotch tape if you don’t trust the steadiness of your hand to paint the different sections, or use a thin paintbrush.  Apply this technique to all of the nails.  Once your nails are completely dry add a clear topcoat.  If they aren’t totally dry when you add the topcoat, the color may bleed.

While we don’t recommend marble, newspaper or sponge prints for your clothes, your nails are a perfect place to go a little wild with these fun trends. So block out a little me-time this weekend to try out one of these fabulous DIY trends, and get ready to reel in the compliments, collegiettes™!

Sources:
http://www.thelooksforless.com/2010/11/22/manicure-mondays-feather-nails/
http://www.beautylish.com/a/vpvmy/colorblocking-nail-tutorial

As the Senior Designer, Kelsey is responsible for the conceptualization and design of solutions that support and strengthen Her Campus on all levels. While managing junior designers, Kelsey manages and oversees the creative needs of Her Campus’s 260+ chapters nationwide and abroad. Passionate about campaign ideation and finding innovative design solutions for brands, Kelsey works closely with the client services team to develop integrated marketing and native advertising campaigns for Her Campus clients such as Macy’s, UGG, Merck, Amtrak, Intel, TRESemmé and more. A 2012 college graduate, Kelsey passionately pursued English Literature, Creative Writing and Studio Art at Skidmore College. Born in and native to Massachusetts, Kelsey supplements creative jewelry design and metal smithing with a passion for fitness and Boston Bruins hockey. Follow her on Twitter: @kelsey_thornFollow her on Instagram: @kelsey_thorn