MoneyMatters: Groupon–The Coupon Site You Need to Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Haven’t heard of Groupon? If not, listen up my fellow savers! Groupon.com is a website devoted to providing you with daily discounts in your area. The site even provides you with the option of customizing your Groupon coupons for things that you care about buying (and getting discounts on). Signing up is free and you can even get $10 in “Groupon Bucks” by referring a friend. So here’s the deal:

1. Sign up: All you need is a valid email address and they will send you “Deal of the Day” emails, everyday.
  2. Check it out: The key to coupons like this is determining whether you actually need the coupon (in other words, you don’t want to fall into the trap of buying the coupon just because it’s there… be realistic and only
    take up the offer if it is something you will actually use).
  3. Buy it: These aren’t the coupons that you slice up the Pennysaver for, they are not free. Instead of printing the coupon from Groupon and receiving a discount, you pay Groupon the price they are offering, print the voucher, and then redeem your purchase. For example: say they are offering a massage for $39 (which is regularly priced at $80), you pay Groupon $39 and print the voucher. When you get to the spa/salon you present them with your Groupon coupon and all expenses have been paid for.

Why we care about this at MoneyMatters:

1. Obviously, we love discounts and coupons of any sort! Plus, Groupon coupons come with the convenience of being online (and automatically sent to you email), rather than having to spend hours scouring the different mail coupon packages for the best deal.
  2. This can be a great gift-giving idea for friends and family. I don’t know about you but gift-giving tends to burn a pretty big hole in my pocket…Why not take advantage of a discount when you can?
  3. It’s pretty fool-proof as far as saving goes, as long as you control those urges to buy a $250 hand-gliding lesson that is normally priced at $435 just because you can.

As always, we are eager to hear what YOU—the readers—would like to know about money and saving, so don’t hesitate to comment or send an email with the “Money” topic that “Matters” to you!

Adriana is a junior at Skidmore College, with an English major and Studio Art and French double minor. Born and raised in the Main Line suburbs of Philadelphia, Adriana loves to travel, write, and paint. She has spent summers in France and Italy studying fashion, painting, and art history, and recently finished her semester abroad in Paris. At Skidmore, Adriana enjoys participating in musicals, club soccer and field hockey, and writing for the school newspaper. With advertising and graphic design internships under her belt, Adriana is excited to continue her experience in journalism at Her Campus, and eventually get a law degree. In her free time, she loves to play tennis, paint oil portraits, and play the piano.