Mollie Welch ’16: Head Peer Advocate in the Center for Sex and Gender Relations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Name: Mollie Welch
Class Year: 2016
Major: American Studies, Sociology
Hometown: Marblehead, MA

HC: Why did you get involved?
MW: I got involved with the Center for Sex and Gender Relations my sophomore fall because it was such an amazing resource and it made me upset that more people on campus didn’t know about it. The Peer Advocates I knew were so educated and passionate about furthering their knowledge that I wanted everyone to reap the benefits of their hard work. This year, my co-Head Peer Advocate, Ray Skyer ’17, and I have focused on bringing attention to what the Center does. We discuss everything under the umbrella of sexuality, gender, sexual health, and sexual misconduct. We are a welcoming and excellent resource for the Skidmore Community. Come visit us on the 3rd floor of Case (above Burgess) Monday/Thursday 2-5 and Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday 1-5!

HC: What does a PA do?
MW: Peer Advocates (PAs) in the Center do a myriad of jobs. We are Peer-to-Peer anonymous resources, meaning that whatever anyone confides in us stays with us, with the exception of a few details that we have to report because of the Clery Act (names are not used). We are not counsellors, we are referral resources, meaning that we are here to help students figure out what they need. We also work shifts in the Center selling products and talking to anyone who comes by. We host and help out with events and have a weekend hotline that runs from Thursday nights to Monday mornings where we listen and refer students to the resources that they might be looking for.

HC: What is something most people don’t know about the center?
MW: We’re a really close-knit group. During training, we went on a bonding hike on what must have been the muggiest morning this August. By the time we were almost to the top, we were dripping with sweat and delirious but everyone was smiling and happy to be around people as passionate and sweaty as they were. Everyone brings a unique perspective to the table that diversifies our dialogue and keeps us learning and interested in spreading important information to the Skidmore community. Becoming a PA was the best decision I’ve made at Skidmore.

HC: Tell us about Racy Readers.
MW: Perhaps what the Center is most known for, Racy Readers are a monthly publication written and edited by a group of PAs. This year, Emily Eilertsen ’16 is in charge of the group that creates and prints them. Once a month, all of the PAs meet up to help to hang Racy Readers in bathrooms all over campus (it’s a serious job). Check out this month’s Racy Reader in bathroom near you! This month’s theme is active bystandership and consent when alcohol is in the mix!

HC: Any events coming up soon?
MW: We’ve got a lot of great events coming up. We held our first annual Consentfest a few weeks ago and it was a huge success. The Spa was packed all night with students playing consent-themed games, eating free popcorn and cotton candy, and watching lives performances from the Ujima Step Team, Breakbeats, and the Accents. Our next big event is occurring the second week of November, the 9th through the 15th. We are holding an exhibit about what hooking up means to the Skidmore community in Case Gallery. It will feature students’ definitions of hooking up, student artwork, and an enormous exquisite corpse (it’s a drawing game, not a dead body). Come check it out and let us know what you think!

HC: Anything else you want people to know?
MW: Working in the Center has altered and focused my path at Skidmore. If becoming a PA is something you might be interested in, check out our application at www.skidmore.edu/thecenter/pacenterapplication.php!

Ileana is a senior at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, New York. She lives in Eugene, Oregon when not at school. Ileana is studying Sociology and English. She loves writing, decorating clothing, and spending time with friends. You can also check out her personal blog at http://sometimesiweartiaras.wordpress.com/. Thanks for reading!