Lauren Jackson: Member of Drastic Measures and the Sirens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Lauren Jackson is a transfer student who has made her mark at Skidmore in a cappella and her own singing group, The Sirens. Check out her awesome music and upcoming show, and learn here about how she got involved in pursuing her passion.

Her Campus (HC): As a transfer student, how does the atmosphere of Skidmore differ from your previous school?

Lauren Jackson (LJ): The atmosphere at Skidmore made my transfer process so easy. The student body is diverse and accepting. My old school relied heavily on Greek life as its social scene, whereas here everyone is encouraged to branch out in both activities and social circles. I love that about Skidmore because I have been able to explore a variety of interests and meet people that I normally would not cross paths with.

HC: How did you get involved with the Drastic Measures?

LJ: I knew from the start that I wanted to be involved in a cappella, preferably a coed group. When I auditioned for the Drastics I felt that I would fit in well with the current members, and I actually (embarrassingly) cried when i got in! I have always loved to sing and it seemed like a fun way to keep singing in college.

HC: Do you have any upcoming shows?

LJ: Upcoming shows: this Saturday at eight, the Drastics have our end of the semester jam! Then, on May 1, the Sirens have our last show of the year. Weather permitting it will be out on the amphitheater outside Zankel.

HC: Tell us more about the Sirens!

LJ: I met Allie and Katie through the Drastics. We decided on a whim to audition for Beatlemore with a three-part harmony version of “You Really Got a Hold on me,” then just never stopped! We have had two shows so far which have been so much fun. We are able to work together so nicely and we learn quickly, and performances are always really laid back. We may even have the opportunity this summer to perform at a folk festival in New York! 

Sara Pion

Skidmore

My name is Sara Pion, I am a student at Skidmore college and originally from Boston Massachussetts. I love all things fashion and doing DIY crafts.