Kelly Blackhurst ’14, Field Hockey Player of the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Kelly Blackhurst ’14 is finishing her field hockey career at Skidmore with the highest honor a Division III athlete can earn: Player of the Year.  Kelly ranks as the fifth-highest scorer in Division III with 105 goals and 54 assists. She broke Skidmore’s previous records for most goals, game-winning goals, points in a season, goals in a season and game-winning goals in a season. Here’s what she had to say about her accomplishments.

Her Campus: How old were you when you started playing field hockey?

Kelly Blackhurst: I started playing field hockey when I was in 4th grade.

HC: What were you doing when you found out that you were named Player of the Year?

KB: The day before I had found out that I was named First Team All American. I knew that the NFHCA would be naming the national Player of the Year the next day. I was very curious as to who was going to be chosen and had looked a couple of times throughout the day. At the end of one of my classes, I glanced at my phone and saw a text message from my mother. it said “check out the NFHCA website.” My heart started racing as I quickly pulled out my computer. As soon as the page loaded and I saw my name, I began crying. The students and the teacher all gave me hugs!

HC: As an athlete at Skidmore, how do you feel about the red side of the dining hall?

KB: You mean the jungle? I personally sit on the blue side right when you walk in. From day one, my team told me that athletes sit on this side and everyone else sits on the other side. If you look at it more closely, this is definitely not true. I don’t often sit on the red side because I do not know people who sit on that side.

HC: What do you like to do in your free time?

KB: I cook, bake, eat sweets, and eat bacon.

HC: Do you have any exercise tips for collegiettes that want to be fit?

KB: 1. Set an attainable fitness goal

2. Work out with friends. Friends can help motivate you to reach your goal(s)

3. Eat what you want, but watch how much you are eating!

4. Get outside. Walk into town, take a walk through Northwoods, bike to and from campus….get creative!

What’s a fun fact about yourself?

KB: While I studied abroad I ate over 110 pastries!