This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

It’s okay not to be okay. This might sound a little strange, but what I mean by this is that if you’re feeling really down for some reason, that’s okay. I know I personally tend to beat myself up when I’m feeling really upset about something, telling myself that I shouldn’t be feeling this way. Last week was not a good one for me and I found myself feeling like I needed to act like everything was fine. No one in my classes knew what I was going through. When you’re depressed, anxious, or heartbroken you don’t have a physical wound, but that does not mean you are not in pain. I tried to put on a happy face and continued to tell myself that it was my own fault I was feeling this way, and that I needed to cut it out. But then it hit me that in order to feel better I needed to stop beating myself up. I need to stop kicking myself when I’m already down. If you’re feeling really down, you need to accept that emotion and realize that it is completely valid. If your close friend came to you and told you how she was feeling really sad or anxious about something, would you tell her to suck it up and stop being upset or anxious? Of course not. You would likely tell her that it’s okay to feel this way and that you will be there for her, and it will eventually get better. Treat yourself with the same love and understanding you would treat a close friend. Accept that you’re not okay right now and accept that that’s okay, because by doing this you will ease the pain instead of increasing it by beating yourself up. Show yourself some love and remember that you are enough and things will be okay again. ❤️

Morgan Fechter

Skidmore '20

CC of HC Skidmore