How To: Make Your Desk an Inspirational Workplace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

For me, keeping my desk organized is a must. I need a space to work that is both aesthetically appealing and free of clutter in order for me to be productive. I find that if my desk is a mess I feel like my life is a mess and I certainly won’t be sitting at my desk doing my assignments. Here are a few ways I spiced up my desk.

Utilize your corkboard to its full potential

I used my corkboard to display photos of my friends, family and of course my dog Kody. I love being able to look up at my photos and see the people I love, and be reminded of how lucky I am- motivating me to work hard. I also used my corkboard to hang my necklaces since I don’t have a jewelry organizer. I keep my earrings and rings in a glass display box but I didn’t want to store my necklaces there because I figured they would get tangled. Hanging them on my cork board (with push pins) is perfect because they are displayed really nicely, and they stay tangle free! Another way to utilize your cork board is by making it into an “inspiration” or “vision board” with phrases, pictures, and anything else that motivates you or represents what you want to achieve.

Decorative Push Pins ($3)

String lights and Candles

I found this small set of (battery operated) string lights at Target and they add such a nice touch to the aesthetic of my desk. Candles also add a really great touch, and they also work great as book-ends! If you can’t have candles in your dorm (like me) you can find flameless battery operated candles at places like Target and Michaels.

String Lights ($6)         

Flameless Candles ($7.29)

Planners

Having a planner is an absolute essential for me when it comes to staying organized. I have one planner I write down all of my assignment in, and in my other planner I write down my schedule and to-dos. The planner I write my assignments in is a 17-month planner from Rifle and Paper Co. that I found at the Northshire Bookstore in town. My other planner is The 100-Day Happiness planner which I ordered from Anthropologie. The planner is not only meant to keep you organized but also to help you set goals for yourself and focus on positive thinking. I also have an actual “to-do” list pad I keep on my desk where I will also write down a to-do list or a shopping list. As if my planners and list pad aren’t enough I also have a “weekly list” (that you can also find at Northshire Bookstore) that allows me to look at my week at a glance, and serves as a great mousepad!

Rifle and Paper Co. Planner ($34)

Happiness Planner ($30)

Idlewild List Pad ($7)

Honeydew Weekly Desk Pad  ($12)

Liven Up Your Desk

When it comes to having plants on my desk I like to stick to succulents and cacti. I have a purple toned succulent on my desk that I bought at the Saratoga Farmers market and I have a cactus I brought from home that I’ve had for over a year. Succulents and cacti are great because they are low maintenance and only need to be watered about once a week. I also have a few small pumpkins on my desk- which I also got at the Saratoga Farmer’s market- that add a nice fall vibe.