How to Make the Most of Celebration Weekend 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

As we all know, Celebration Weekend is a glorified version of camp visiting day, when your parents come for the weekend to take you out to dinner and embarrass you in front of your friends. Only joking—celebration weekend is a great time to catch up with your parents (and go out for some great meals). Between all of the amazing attractions Saratoga Springs has to offer as well as the events Skidmore puts on, it can be overwhelming to make the most of the short time your parents are here to visit.

Here’s a list of our favorite activities to attend and places to visit this Celebration Weekend:

For all our artsy folks out there: You should stop by the Tang Teaching Museum anytime throughout the weekend for a look at the awesome new show: Affinity Atlas. There is also a gallery tour of the new Speciman art show in the Schick Gallery with a Skidmore alum on Friday afternoon from 3 to 4 pm. In addition, make sure to see all of the performing arts that will be on campus during Celebration Weekend. Kick things off with an incredible dance performance, showcasing various workshops from within the dance department, at the Dance Theater at 3 pm on Saturday. You can also check out the Filene Scholar’s Concert and watch all of your talented peers in Zankel at 6:30 pm. Lastly, for a crowd-pleaser and family favorite, don’t miss Under the Big Top, featuring all of Skidmore’s performance groups, at 8:30 in the Big Gym. 

The Tang is open Tuesday-Sunday Noon to 5 pm. 

For those of you whose parents want to know what’s going on around campus, there are a couple of places you can take them over the weekened. Start off with the Career Jam in D Hall on Friday from 3-5 pm; they won’t be disappointed. Plus, you’ll get the chance to do some great networking. You can also attend President’s Hour, on Saturday morning from 9:30-10:30 am, to hear President Glotzbach address College issues and discuss his vision for Skidmore’s future. This event will be held in Gannett Auditorium.

Now for the good stuff: FOOD!

Since there are so many restaurants in Saratoga, we’re going to recommend some of our favorites:

1)    Druther’s: best burger in Saratoga; as simple as that.

2)    Scallion’s:  the perfect spot for a fresh-tasting, unique spin on your favorite dishes with a beautiful, artistic atmosphere!

3)    Duo: by far the best sushi in town

Druthers’ famous “Ugly Burger.”

And to conclude, our favorite spots for Sunday brunch before your parents hit the road:

For the best greasy diner breakfast around, head over to The Triangle Diner, located on Maple Avenue.

If you’re looking for a great medium, Country Corner is always a must. With a huge array of delicious options as well as homemade jam and fudge, you can’t go wrong.

For a more upscale option, check out The Merry Monk on Henry Street. With dishes like “El Gringo” and “For My Last Meal,” there’s no messing around at this brunch spot.

Delicious homemade jam at Country Corner.

English Major and Business Minor at Skidmore College and new Co-CC of Skidmore HC. Spends free time hanging out with friends, taking yoga classes and dancing, and admittedly binge-watching her favorite Netflix shows. 
A senior at Skidmore College, who loves beagles, batman, and sushi. You can find me dreaming about Anderson Cooper and doing crossword puzzles.