How it Feels to Leave Your Pet at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

To have a pet is a wonderful thing. That small little life long friend that’s there for you from your horrific junior prom, to the glorious day of your long-time-coming high school graduation, and, of course, for everything in between. However, after the cap flicks off of your fingers and your gown is returned to whatever rental company your high school got it from, you find that it’s time to leave your home and head off on a new adventure. Sometimes, that adventure is college, and, if you have a cat, dog, snake or frog that you leave at home, you know exactly how tragic leaving a pet can be. Here are 5 things that leaving your pet for college feels like:

1) You pray to go home as soon as possible to see him or her

2) You curl up in bed and reach your hand out beside you, only to find that you’re alone, and you’re cat or dog is miles away.

3) You see a dog on campus and want to weep.

4) Like you’ll never feel whole again.

5) Like you finally understand Marley & Me.

I'm just sittin' at my desk, crying over a panda video, trying to make a living with this writing thing. When I'm not working for Hercampus, I'm watching Supernatural, thinking about funding a startup for my dream trip to the Democratic Republic of Congo, or dreaming of becoming a Disney Princess.
Gwen is a senior, English major, and co-CC of Her Campus Skidmore. She spends a lot of time watching Pretty Little Liars and Fixer Upper, listening to music, staring at her comptuer screen and wishing words would come easier, and waiting for the New York Islanders to win another Stanley Cup (preferably at the Coli). Also, she really likes cheese and is trying to learn to skateboard. It's not going very well.