Her Campus Skidmore’s Guide to a Weekend in the City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

If you’re a big city girl like me (born and raised in Los Angeles), or even if you’re more into small town scenery, a trip to New York City is always a good idea, especially for Skidmore students. We’re only located a short 3-4 hour train ride to Penn Station. It honestly couldn’t be easier. As someone who has always named Eloise as her spirit animal, visiting the city often is a necessity for me. This past weekend I hit the city for some quality time with my friends and family, both of whom live in the city, as well as some good food and great shopping.

If you’re planning on making your way down to the Concrete Jungle any time soon, I would highly recommend you follow my weekend itinerary, or at least consider it when making your own.

Day 1 (Friday):

I took the afternoon train into Penn Station and got there a little past dinner time. I was STARVING. I finessed my way through hoards of people and finally hailed a cab. It was only once I was settled into the weird smelling back seat of the cab that I called my grandma to let her know I was on my way. I couldn’t stop smiling because I just love New York.  

I got to my grandparent’s apartment, exchanged hugs and kisses, threw my stuff on the floor, and flopped onto the guest bed. I pulled up Seamless (the world’s greatest app for a hungry and lazy girl like myself) and ordered my favorite salad and buffalo cauliflower from Candle Café, the best vegan café in the city. I quickly showered and changed and then watched the West Wing with my grandparents while simultaneously scarfing down food that wasn’t straight from Emily’s Garden.

3 episodes later, it was 10:30 pm and I had no qualms about the fact that I wasn’t at Falstaffs or quietly pregaming in a Joto double with 12 other people. I crawled into bed and dozed off to the beautiful sounds of the wonderfully alive city.

Day 2 (Saturday):

I took off rather early Saturday morning after getting a solid 10 hours of much needed sleep. I put on what I thought was a weather appropriate outfit, even though i ended up needed a sweater (I guess fall really has started). I got a smoothie from Juice Generation that I could only describe as really delicious blended salad. I felt like the pinnacle of health. I then “treated myself” and got my nails done and then took off to the East Village to meet my best friend from high school, Alex, for lunch at Beyond Sushi. If you’ve never heard of Beyond Sushi, my condolences. It is a plant-based sushi restaurant that is absolutely insane. We each got a roll and a wrap and were in absolute heaven. We then walked, stopping every so often to shop, to MatchaBar in Chelsea which if you love matcha, is the place to be. Their menu is insane and their interior designer deserves some sort of award. Alex got an Earl Grey Matcha Latte and I got a Vanilla Almond Matcha Latte and we sat and chatted for awhile and I couldn’t resist getting a Mocha Matcha Latte for the road which honestly could have been the last thing I ingested. I would have been content. After we parted ways I returned to my grandparents and we got yummy italian food that, if you can believe it, beat Live! Pasta Bar. NYC Italian is so. freaking. good. I then sat and read with my grandpa. If you’re not buried in textbooks, I recommend The Hopefuls by Jennifer Close. It’s about young political life in D.C. during the Obama administration and it’s addicting.

Day 3 (Sunday):

Sunday is the worst because it means Monday is tomorrow. My train left at 3:15 pm so I had to fit in any last errands/work by 2:30ish. I slept in and made breakfast with my grandparents before a quick trip to Barbour and Whole Foods with my grandpa. I couldn’t go into the city without bringing back goodies to share with my friends and a beautiful new fall jacket. I then took my remaining time to study for my upcoming spanish test on the balcony of my grandparent’s apartment while listening to the band playing in the park next door.

Conclusion:

I just love love love New York City. Please enjoy the pictures of my weekend below as just the sight of the matcha lattes and sushi makes me want to do it all again this weekend.

Emma Bernstein

Skidmore '19

Senior polisci major with a passion for matcha, Cristiano Ronaldo, late-night political comedy, and bucket hats.
Gwen is a senior, English major, and co-CC of Her Campus Skidmore. She spends a lot of time watching Pretty Little Liars and Fixer Upper, listening to music, staring at her comptuer screen and wishing words would come easier, and waiting for the New York Islanders to win another Stanley Cup (preferably at the Coli). Also, she really likes cheese and is trying to learn to skateboard. It's not going very well.