HC Skidmore Goes Abroad: Plant Based in Buenos Aires

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

My name is Emma and I’m a writer for Her Campus’ Skidmore chapter. I am currently studying abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina, studying the human rights, politics, and history of Latin America. I’ve been abroad for about 2 months now and have a ton of fun tips and recommendations for studying abroad in Buenos Aires.

I came to Buenos Aires as a vegan and slowly learned that veganism is MUY DIFICIL when studying abroad in a country known for it’s meat, especially when you’re living with a host mom who is not accustomed to cooking for high-maintenance, Los Angeles-based vegans. So, I am currently following a vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free diet and would like to share my recommendations for places to find healthy and vegan/vegetarian options!

1. Ninina Bakery: This place looks like it has been plucked from an upscale NYC or Los Angeles street and placed in the heart of BA’s best neighborhood, funkily named, Palermo Soho. Ninina has the best omelette in Buenos Aires (out of the ones I’ve tried) and a killer soy chai latte. It is actually very very difficult to find cafes in Buenos Aires that carry non-dairy milks so a place like Ninina is a godsend.

2. Tiendas Naturales: 2 words…avocado toast. This place knows how to do avocado toast, or tostada palta. At Tiendas Naturales you can get scrambled egg whites on avocado toast with a fresh pressed green juice all for under $9. The Argentine peso to U.S. dollar exchange rate is INCREDIBLE. While 2 avocados in New York City can cost you up to $7, you can get 10 avocados here for about $6. I know…I was shocked too.

3. Full City Coffee House: The baristas at FCCH are latte art masters. They’re also incredibly kind and speak a fair amount of english (for those of you who don’t have 1 year of beginner spanish under your belt like me). This coffee shop serves incredible Colombian coffee that will put your café del dia from Starbucks (yes they’re on every corner here too) to shame.

4. Casa Munay: AKA my friend’s favorite spot for Saturday night dinner. This vegetarian restaurant has everything from Pad Thai to Gnocchi and incredible desserts. The inside of the restaurant is totally instagrammable with bright colored walls and eclectic decor. Additionally, the best wine I’ve ever had, and I typically cannot stand the taste of wine, comes from this restaurant. It’s called Cuatro Vacas Gordas (4 Fat Cows) and you must share a full bottle with your friends if you go, trust me.

5. Lastly, definitely check out Bio. This restaurant has options for vegans, celiacs, and people that prefer their meals 100% organic. The ambiance is totally hip and super easy going. It’s located in the heart of Palermo Hollywood, only a few blocks away from my favorite workout place, Rock Cycle (total rip-off of Soul Cycle but super fun nonetheless).

Emma Bernstein

Skidmore '19

Senior polisci major with a passion for matcha, Cristiano Ronaldo, late-night political comedy, and bucket hats.