Dorm Room DIY: Iced Matcha Latte!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

It’s not just the latest trend in caffeinated health drinks. It’s a lifestyle. It’s Matcha and it’s here to stay.

If you don’t know what Matcha is, you’re missing out. Here’s why.

1. Matcha is green tea on steroids. Matcha is a powdered form of green tea. One teaspoon of Matcha powder has the antioxidant equivalent of 13 cups of plain steeped green tea. This is because Matcha powder is made from the ground up green tea leaf so you’re getting the full leaf and not just the steeped water.

2. Matcha is ridiculously good for you. As I said before, it is jam packed with antioxidants and also speeds up your metabolism. Matcha does have caffeine in it, but it is SO much better than coffee. The caffeine does not hit you all at once the way it does with coffee. After you drink Matcha, the caffeine steadily deposits itself in your system over the course of a few hours so you have several hours of concentration and energy and then you’re let down calmly. That’s right… no caffeine crash.

3. It’s DELICIOUS! I personally love putting matcha powder in some ice water, giving my bottle a shake, and heading to class. That’s how much I love the taste of matcha. However, some people might not be as hardcore as I claim to be and so… I present… the dorm room…. Iced Matcha Latte.

You’ll need: ice, water, Matcha powder, a spoon, a 16-20 oz water bottle, and non-dairy milk (I use unsweetened coconut milk but almond, soy, rice etc will do just as well)

Step 1:  Fill your bottle a little over half of the way up with ice and water.

Step 2: Add about a teaspoon (give or take) of matcha powder. I use House of Matcha because I think the higher quality the matcha the better it tastes and is for you, but any matcha powder will do.**

Step 3: Close the top and shake the bottle vigorously for about a minute until your water is dark green. (Over time the powder will fall to the bottom of the bottle but just give it another shake and it’s good again)

Step 4: Pour in your non-dairy milk till the drink is a dark or light as you want it. You can play with the measurements till you find the right balance of matcha:milk that you think tastes best.

Step 5: Enjoy your delicious matcha drink without having to leave your room.

** House of Matcha is not sponsoring this post… though I wish they were because their products are addictive!

Emma Bernstein

Skidmore '19

Senior polisci major with a passion for matcha, Cristiano Ronaldo, late-night political comedy, and bucket hats.
Gwen is a senior, English major, and co-CC of Her Campus Skidmore. She spends a lot of time watching Pretty Little Liars and Fixer Upper, listening to music, staring at her comptuer screen and wishing words would come easier, and waiting for the New York Islanders to win another Stanley Cup (preferably at the Coli). Also, she really likes cheese and is trying to learn to skateboard. It's not going very well.