DIY Spring Dorm Decor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Easter is over which means that it is officially spring time collegiettes! They say that April showers bring May flowers but all we see are gray days that put a downer on the changing temperatures. Since we will be spending a little more time inside waiting for the sun, here are a few ways to spruce up your dorm in time for spring!

Jewelry Holder

Materials:

3 Differently sized plates (1 big, 1 medium, 1 small)

2 Candlesticks

Superglue

Start with your medium plate. On the bottom, glue one of the candlesticks right in the middle, then place it on your big plate and glue it down. Then glue the second candlestick to the bottom of the smallest plate and glue that onto the middle plate. Your finished product should look super cute and it’s a great way to store your jewelry if you plan on doing some spring-cleaning!

Tissue Paper Tassel Garland

Materials:

1 roll of twine 

As many different colors of Tissue paper as you want

Scotch Tape

Scissors

1 Foil Table-skirt

Cut the tissue paper into strips, leaving some room at the top to keep it together. Twist the paper together at the top, but be sure you don’t fold any of the strips in! Tape it together and then wrap some of the twine around the top. Make sure to keep a loop out so you can string the tassels! Repeat as many times as you want, for however long you make your garland. Take a long piece of twine and string your tassels on in a pattern. Hang on your wall and enjoy!

Magnetic Tea Tin Holders

All you need are empty tea tins and magnets! And a mini-fridge….

Empty the tea tin and place a magnet or two on the back of the tin. A lot of magnets you can get from a craft store have one side that is adhesive, so all you have to do is stick it on the back of your tin and then stick it on your fridge!

Acrylic Tray

This project is so easy, its laughable! All you need is a plastic picture frame and some scrapbook paper that will fit inside the frame. Take the backing out of the frame, cut the paper so it fits into the frame. You don’t even have to glue it down! So easy and so cute!

Mason Jar Votive

We know that candles are not allowed in the dorms, but no one said anything about tea lights!

Materials:

1 Mason Jar

1 Tea Light

Tape

Spraypaint

Make a pattern on the mason jar using your tape to map it out. Next, spray paint around your design, making sure to cover the entire jar. Let it dry. Then remove the tape once the paint is dry, put your tea light in the jar and enjoy! 

Sara Pion

Skidmore

My name is Sara Pion, I am a student at Skidmore college and originally from Boston Massachussetts. I love all things fashion and doing DIY crafts.