Campus Profile: Matt L. ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Name: Matt Lueckheide

Year: 2017

Major/Minor: Chemistry/Physics

Hometown: Franklin Square, NY

HC: You’re so busy! How do you balance everything–work, extra curriculars, time with friends, etc?

ML: I feel that most wouldn’t agree with how I balance everything I do with my work, but I generally stay up late and wake up early to get my work done so I have more time for work and club meetings and such. Luckily I don’t need as much sleep as others need to function. I feel like college is about being as involved as possible in the community as it is about doing work and getting a degree, so I make a lot of time for extracurricular activities and friends.

HC: What’s your favorite thing about studying Chemsitry? (A subject many of us are scared of.)

ML: My favorite thing about the Chemistry major? I’m just going to say it, I really like organic chemistry and I know that I want to be an organic chemistry professor after graduate school. Therefore my favorite thing about my major is how prepared I feel  it has made me for graduate school. I just applied! Can’t wait.

HC: And now, for the million dollar question, what’s your favorite thing about Skidmore?

ML: My favorite thing about Skidmore is probably the community. I believe we have a very friendly and supportive community and I’ve made so many great friends in so many different academic areas. It’s not perfect, but I think we should be very proud of it.

HC: That being said, if you could change one thing about Skidmore, what woud it be?

ML: I would love if Skidmore had the ability to give financial aid to more students. College in general is becoming increasingly expensive and if Skidmore had a larger endowment, it would be awesome if it went towards getting more economically disadvantaged students to Skidmore so they can have the fantastic experience that we are all having.

HC: If you were an animal, which one would you be and why?

ML: I’d probably be a lynx, because not only are they one of the most badass cat species on the planet, but they’re also super precious and cuddly (I think…)

English Major and Business Minor at Skidmore College and new Co-CC of Skidmore HC. Spends free time hanging out with friends, taking yoga classes and dancing, and admittedly binge-watching her favorite Netflix shows.