Best-Dressed BFFs: Morgan and Lulu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

We know that Skidmore has some well-dressed collegiettes and we love to see BFFs sporting similar styles and inspiring each other in the way they express themselves through their clothing. We sat down with some well-dressed BFFs to see how they inspire each other-and us!- in the way they dress.

Her Campus: Describe your personal style.

Morgan Lavoie:  I would say that my style is sweet and maybe a little old school. I wear a lot of floral prints, collared shirts and knee socks.

Lulu Simon: I would describe my personal style as, first and foremost, very comfortable. Tags drive me crazy, so I go nuts and cut them out of all my shirts, sometimes too aggressively, and end up cutting holes in my clothes. Aside from that, I’d say I wear whatever gives the impression that I’m taller than I am, so high heels, short skirts or shorts to make my legs look longer and long sweaters to make my torso look longer. I’m 4’10, I can’t afford not to be an illusionist. What I end up wearing usually makes me look like a moody punk who occasionally wears tropical print.

HC: Do you inspire each other in the way you each dress?

ML: Lulu absolutely influences my style a lot. She dresses in such a distinct way that she’s motivated me to figure out my own unique style. She has such a wonderful, carefree attitude and wears whatever she wants, which I think is really special. She’s also just so fun, funky and always looks so trendy that she definitely inspires me to dress well.

LS: Morgan definitely inspires the way I dress, because sometimes I get really stressed out and can’t figure out what I want to wear, and then I’ll see Morgan put on a dress and knee socks and then I’ll wait until she leaves for class so that I can copy her without her knowing. Then by the time we see each other later on in the day, it’s too late, and we’re wearing the same thing and there’s not really anything she can do about it.

HC: Which stores are essential to hit when shopping together?

ML: Top Shop, Brandy Melville and the occasional wig store.

LS: When Morgan and I go shopping together we usually hit up Top Shop and Brandy Melville.

HC: Did being in London change or influence your style? (These lovely ladies were both London Freshmen)

ML: Definitely! In London, there’s always going to be someone overdressed and underdressed relative to what you’re wearing. Because there’s such a fashion spectrum, there’s no real standard for what’s “normal” to wear. It’s pretty liberating to be in a place where you can be comfortable wearing whatever you want because there’s no style that’s off-limits or inappropriate. It really gives you the license to wear whatever you want or try something new.

LS: Being in London absolutely influenced my style because the London fashion scene is so wild. At any and all times there are people wearing clothes that seem completely outrageous for every day attire, and that’s what gave me the confidence to wear things that I would have otherwise felt uncomfortable in. More than anything, London gave me the confidence to be less self-conscious about my style and to wear whatever I feel like wearing, no matter the occasion, or lack thereof.

HC: Describe each other’s style in three words.

ML: Trendy, edgy, punk-pop

LS: Sweet, classic, feminine.

Sara Pion

Skidmore

My name is Sara Pion, I am a student at Skidmore college and originally from Boston Massachussetts. I love all things fashion and doing DIY crafts.