Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Skidmore Archives

4 Ways to Escape the Skidmore Bubble Today

By Ileana Paules-Bronet
April 3, 2014 - 10:00am

We all know how it goes. The semester drags on, the workload gets heavier, the trips to D-Hall get more frequent, and the trips off campus... less frequent. Or they, you know, just never happen. Your bed becomes your best friend and you spend all your time outside of your bed with your roommate and the same two other people. Soon enough you’re sick of them, but can’t think of any way to do things without them.  Before you know it, you have no idea what is going on anywhere in the world, and the Drastic Measures’ next performance seems like the biggest news since ComFest. Ladies, it’s time to escape – here are some of the best ways to get out of the Skidmore Bubble and experience the real world: Go into Town...

What's your favorite way to de-stress in Saratoga?

By Kate Moriarty

Bailey Threatt '16

By rbaird
April 2, 2014 - 10:31pm

Bailey Threatt '16 Year: 2016 Major: Art History 
Hometown: Menlo Park, CA Relationship Status: Single What qualities in a guy make him “Bailey approved"? Funny/good sense of humor, kind Where can we find you most on campus? In Caroline Hobbs’s room/dhall Three things you cannot live without: READ MORE

Ella Kaplan '16

By Sophia Inkeles
March 29, 2014 - 5:46pm

Pants: J. Crew, Sweater: J. Crew, Shoes: Steve Madden, Earrings: JList (in Norwich, VT). Although Skidmore is often thought of as a haven for hipsters, there are definitely some hidden prepsters amongst us! Ella Kaplan '16 (pictured above) looks playful and confident in her fun, bright pants and understated sweater combo. The elephant earrings are so cute it hurts. We asked Ella to share her style secrets--check out what she had to say! How would you describe your style? READ MORE

May-Lin McEvoy: Community Service-Oriented Student Athlete

By Emily Kaplan
March 27, 2014 - 5:43pm

May-Lin McEvoy is a Skidmore sophomore who does her part for the community. She not only grows her hair till you she sit on it (impressive!) in order to donate it, but also influences her softball teammates to donate and help out as well! She finds it a great and easy way to give back and show support for those fighting cancer. Even YOU can make a difference! Her Campus: How are you involved with supporting the fight of cancer? READ MORE

An Evening with Janet Mock

By Kate Moriarty
March 27, 2014 - 5:02pm

Thank you, Office of Student Diversity Programs (and so many other participatory groups!), for bringing us tonight's incredible keynote speaker: Janet Mock! For those who don't know, Janet is a writer, trans activist, and founder of the #GirlsLikeUs project, and author of Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More, which debuted on the New York Times bestseller list. READ MORE

7 Ways to Get Almost Anyone to Take You Seriously

By Kim Ohnemus
March 25, 2014 - 10:00am

So you’re officially a well-established collegiette! Congrats! But why do you feel like people still treat you like a high schooler? Professors may talk down to you, and you don’t have any idea how to represent yourself in job or internship interviews. It’s OK! You’re at a transitional period in your life and over the next four years you’re going to grow from that high-school kid into a professional young woman ready to tackle the world (hooray?). It’s not easy, though, and sometimes you might find many people in your life (even your friends) not taking you seriously as an adult. Don't worry; we've got seven ways to show others (and yourself!) that you’re a force to be reckoned with (and are ready to take on the world.) Check them out: 1. Dress to impress...

Couples Edition: Hannah Kolb and Spencer Brooks

By Remy Marin
March 24, 2014 - 12:00pm

Welcome to the new-and-improved Campus Cutie: Couples Edition. For our first couple, we chose lovebirds Hannah Kolb and Spencer Brooks. Read on to learn more about these cuties who successfully navigated the Skidmore dating pool! Name: Hannah Kolb Year: Class of 2016 Major: English & Sociology Hometown: New Haven, CT Name: Spencer Brooks Year: Class of 2015 READ MORE

What's your first stop during Restaurant Week? (This week!)

By Kate Moriarty

31 Awesome Electives to Take Next Fall

By Kate Moriarty
March 23, 2014 - 2:49pm

Not sure which classes to take next fall? Of course, you'll want to get major requirements and Gen. Eds. out of the way (how thrilling...), but there's always a little extra room for electives. Luckily, this fall's electives look better than ever, so we scoped out some of the coolest ones for your pre-registration pleasure. Obviously, there are plenty of other awesome classes that didn't make the list--we simply chose intro-level or the occasional 200-level course since those are the easiest for non-majors to access. Take a peek at our top choices; you might just stumble upon a course that strikes your fancy! AA201 001 Foundations of Arts Administration READ MORE