Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Skidmore Archives

May-Lin McEvoy: Community Service-Oriented Student Athlete

By Emily Kaplan
March 27, 2014 - 5:43pm

May-Lin McEvoy is a Skidmore sophomore who does her part for the community. She not only grows her hair till you she sit on it (impressive!) in order to donate it, but also influences her softball teammates to donate and help out as well! She finds it a great and easy way to give back and show support for those fighting cancer. Even YOU can make a difference! Her Campus: How are you involved with supporting the fight of cancer? READ MORE

An Evening with Janet Mock

By Kate Moriarty
March 27, 2014 - 5:02pm

Thank you, Office of Student Diversity Programs (and so many other participatory groups!), for bringing us tonight's incredible keynote speaker: Janet Mock! For those who don't know, Janet is a writer, trans activist, and founder of the #GirlsLikeUs project, and author of Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More, which debuted on the New York Times bestseller list. READ MORE

7 Ways to Get Almost Anyone to Take You Seriously

By Kim Ohnemus
March 25, 2014 - 10:00am

So you’re officially a well-established collegiette! Congrats! But why do you feel like people still treat you like a high schooler? Professors may talk down to you, and you don’t have any idea how to represent yourself in job or internship interviews. It’s OK! You’re at a transitional period in your life and over the next four years you’re going to grow from that high-school kid into a professional young woman ready to tackle the world (hooray?). It’s not easy, though, and sometimes you might find many people in your life (even your friends) not taking you seriously as an adult. Don't worry; we've got seven ways to show others (and yourself!) that you’re a force to be reckoned with (and are ready to take on the world.) Check them out: 1. Dress to impress...

Couples Edition: Hannah Kolb and Spencer Brooks

By Remy Marin
March 24, 2014 - 12:00pm

Welcome to the new-and-improved Campus Cutie: Couples Edition. For our first couple, we chose lovebirds Hannah Kolb and Spencer Brooks. Read on to learn more about these cuties who successfully navigated the Skidmore dating pool! Name: Hannah Kolb Year: Class of 2016 Major: English & Sociology Hometown: New Haven, CT Name: Spencer Brooks Year: Class of 2015 READ MORE

What's your first stop during Restaurant Week? (This week!)

By Kate Moriarty

31 Awesome Electives to Take Next Fall

By Kate Moriarty
March 23, 2014 - 2:49pm

Not sure which classes to take next fall? Of course, you'll want to get major requirements and Gen. Eds. out of the way (how thrilling...), but there's always a little extra room for electives. Luckily, this fall's electives look better than ever, so we scoped out some of the coolest ones for your pre-registration pleasure. Obviously, there are plenty of other awesome classes that didn't make the list--we simply chose intro-level or the occasional 200-level course since those are the easiest for non-majors to access. Take a peek at our top choices; you might just stumble upon a course that strikes your fancy! AA201 001 Foundations of Arts Administration READ MORE

Marky Ramone Speaks at Skidmore

By Kate Moriarty
March 22, 2014 - 8:52pm

Love the Ramones? So do we. That's why we're so excited about the upcoming Speakers Bureau/Skidmore SEC event: Marky Ramone is coming to speak at Skidmore! The event will be held in Gannett, and admission is free to the public. If you lose out on a seat, don't fret; there will be a simulcast in Davis Auditorium next door to accommodate all us fangirling Skiddies. Best known for his 15-year drumming career for the Ramones, Marky undoubtedly has some seriously awesome stories to tell. Don't miss it! READ MORE

Whitney Packer '15

By Remy Marin
March 22, 2014 - 5:04pm

Top: American Eagle. Pants: BDG. Scarf: Hand-knitted by my grandmother. Shoes: Dansko clogs (haven't taken them off since I bought them). How would you describe your style? My style is uniquely me; I try to find clothes that I feel comfortable and confident in. Most of my clothes are darker colors and earth tones so when I put outfits together I like to add a pop of color like I did with the scarf today. What's your go-to class style? READ MORE

Emma Goldberg Liu '14: Classical and Opera Singer

By Kate Moriarty
March 22, 2014 - 4:54pm

Emma Goldberg Liu loves music--and she has the voice and CV to prove it! As president and co-musical director of the Dynamics, member of the Vocal Chamber Ensemble and Skidmore Community Chorus, and previous member of the Cabaret troupe, Emma is no stranger to the spotlight. See her senior recital tonight at 8 p.m. in Zankel, and in the meantime, learn more about her music! Name: Emma Goldberg Liu Class Year: 2014 Majors/Minors: Music and French double major READ MORE

Free Swag from Her Campus!

By Kate Moriarty
March 21, 2014 - 9:00am

We love being a part of Her Campus for so many reasons--it would be tough to count them all, let's be honest--but free swag is definitely high on our list! As a special thank you for all of our hard work, the lovely ladies at HC national teamed up with some amazing partners to bring us Spring Break Survival Kits! The kits are chock full of free swag; everything from hair products to sweet drinks to Chipotle gift cards! (Yes, you heard that right. Free. Chipotle. Cue saliva.) It made our week away and our snowy return to Skidmore so much more fun. READ MORE