Addison Bennett ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Name: Addison Bennett

Year:  2016

Hometown: Greenwich, CT

Major: Government

HC: Other than SGA, what are you involved in around campus?

AB: I am a member of Awkward Kids Talking, an improvised theater group on campus. Getting into improv was not something I expected to be doing in college, as I did a lot of theater in high school, but almost all of it was backstage. It’s been awesome working with such an amazing group of talented people outside the circle of SGA.

HC: How did you get involved in SGA?

AB: During my freshman year, I was vaguely interested in joining the SGA Senate, so I figured I’d give it a try just to see what it was like. I spent the year as a First-Year-Senator, responsible for bringing issues of importance of first year students to the attention of SGA and the College. I thought it was really rewarding work, and I decided to run for the Executive Committee has VP for Club Affairs this year. SGA is a group of good people trying to make change, so I’m always confident in our potential to make things really great at Skidmore. 

HC: How was being VP of Club Affairs?

AB: It’s been a rewarding year, even though it feels like a full-time job most of the time. This year, we’ve chartered over 10 new clubs (including some new favorites like FeelGood and Women in Business, among others), and it’s been great getting to know the Club Presidents and seeing what an impressive group of leaders they are. The end of the year has been fun, as we’ve been getting ready to announce the club of the year, wrap up some last club issues, and prepare for next year. 

HC: What made you want to run for SGA President?

AB: As a member of the Executive Committee this year, I’ve realized that students really do have power and influence at Skidmore, even if that is overlooked much of the time. SGA leaders are dedicated to improving student life and the institution in general, and I have been excited about stepping up my commitment to working with everyone in the Skidmore community to make our lives here better. I know it’s going to be hard work. I’ve seen some of the struggles past SGA Presidents have gone through just to make it through their classes, work with the administration, and ensure students are getting the representation they deserve. Despite all that, I know I’m up for it, and I have some really high hopes for next year.

HC: What do you plan to do now that you have that role?

AB: I think the most important thing an SGA President can do is communicate, and I look forward to overhauling our system of bringing issues to students so they can be informed. In addition, I believe it will be my responsibility to make sure the student voice is always heard.I also will be working on implementing a new SGA Constitution, which is a document we should all use to hold ourselves to a high, empowering standard, SGA and average students included. That particular project will end with a vote of the whole student body at some point next year.

I’ll also work towards improving student perception of SGA, make connections with faculty and administration, and prioritize student engagement with the community. My more specific work on policies, such as the Hazing Policy or the unfinished work on raising the student minimum wage, will be guided by my desire to bring the students a high quality of representation. I’m looking forward to a really productive year as President. 

Remy Marin

Skidmore '15

Remy is an English major and dance minor at Skidmore College. In addition to being CC, Remy is the VP of Outreach of Skidmore's peer mediation group and apprentice for Mediation Matters in Saratoga Springs.