5 Ways to Change Up Your Fitness Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

It’s springtime, collegiettes, and you know what that means! Summer is right around the corner and now is crunch time to get that bod in shape for the season of crop tops and bikinis. However, going to the gym can be boring, and it’s hard to switch things up when you have limited machines to work with in the school gym. Here are a few tips and tricks to help you change up your fitness routine just in time for summer!

CrossFit

It’s not just for body builders and crazy athletes, ladies! There’s even a CrossFit gym in Saratoga. CrossFit tones the entire body using minimal equipment, but that doesn’t mean the exercise is easy. CrossFit exercises constantly change and challenge you, making it harder for your body to plateau and get used to the exercises. It’s designed to improve fitness in the cardio, endurance, strength, flexibility, power, speed, coordination agility, balance, and accuracy areas. Even better? Students get 15% off membership!

Hot Yoga

Sweating your butt off in a hot room full of other people and twisting your body into shapes you didn’t know you could achieve? Sign us up! Hot yoga is getting more and more popular, and for good reason: it’s a great source of exercise! Classes range from 45-90 minutes and temperatures in the rooms can range from 80-105 degrees! But the heat allows muscles to stretch, and trust us, the feeling after a class is amazing. Hot Yoga Saratoga is a great place to go that is close to campus and affordable. Other yoga studios in Saratoga like Yoga Mandali also offer Hot Yoga classes. We suggest trying a class out and see how you like it. Students also get a discount on classes!

Skidmore Fitness Classes

You may have heard about Swim for Fitness, but did you know Skidmore offers fitness classes like Mountain Biking or Martial Arts? There are 100-, 200- and 300-level classes that you can take that meet two times a week for an hour at a time. You can learn a new skill or perfect an old one, all on Skidmore’s campus and for little to no fee. And with registration for Fall 2014 still ongoing, you’ll want to take a look at these classes for a change in your fitness routine.

Pick-up Sports

Even though the sign ups for intermural sports are over, there are still pickup basketball and soccer games that are organized through Facebook groups! All you need to do is join the group on Facebook and people will tell you when they want to play, which means all you have to do next is show up. And since they’re not part of league, these sports will not be as intense and would be a good place to make new friends and learn new skills.

NOA Fitness and Pilates

This studio offers classes that range from power yoga to Pilates to SURFSET fitness classes, which are performed on a surfboard! The studio also offers classes with more cardio and interval training and Bare classes. Anyone with any kind of exercise preference could find a fun, new and challenging class at NOA for a low cost, especially for us college students at only $10 for a 30-minute class! Plus, it’s super conveniently located on Van Dam Sttreet.

What’s your favorite way to stay fit in Saratoga? Tell us in the comments!

Sara Pion

Skidmore

My name is Sara Pion, I am a student at Skidmore college and originally from Boston Massachussetts. I love all things fashion and doing DIY crafts.