10 Food Blog Recipes to Break Your Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

I truly find joy in cooking, but at college it can be so easy to get stuck in a routine or become a sloth. Yesterday, I microwaved a slice of cheese on a piece of bread because I didn’t want to make grilled cheese. To counter this embarrassment and provide inspiration for others like myself, I have picked out a few of my favorite recipes from reliable food blogs. Most of these recipes don’t require a ton of cooking knowledge and are made up of ingredients often on hand.

Half-Baked Harvest has been my go-to food blog for several years now. Baker and blogger Teighan Gerard is a master of gorgeous food photography, and her passion for peanut butter and chocolate rivals my own. Love & Lemons posts recipes for all vegetarian, (and often vegan) meals and desserts. This blog is great if you need salad or stir-fry inspiration. My Name Is Yeh is a blog run by Molly Yeh, who creates recipes on her Chinese and Jewish heritage. She’s a great writer and a master of mini cakes. Brown-Eyed Baker is a blog that’s been around since 2007 and has the best dessert archive. Enjoy!

BREAKFAST

1. Avocado Egg Bagel Breakfast Sandwich (Half-Baked Harvest)

2. Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Bowl (Love & Lemons)

3. Honey Muffins (Brown-Eyed Baker)

These muffins are incredibly simple and have spectacular moist texture, the way a muffin should be.

LUNCH + DINNER

4. Berry Dream Salad (Half-Baked Harvest)

5. Chipotle Apple Sweet Potato Salad (Love & Lemons)

6. Shakshuka (My Name Is Yeh)

Shakshuka is eggs + a spicy tomato sauce. It’s a delight.

7. Chicken Parmesan Bolognese (Half-Baked Harvest)

DESSERT

8. Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Peanut Butter Brownie Bars (Half-Baked Harvest)

My housemate makes fun of me when I tell her I want to make something with such a long name. These bars, however, are made up of all my favorite dessert ingredients. My housemate says “Those sound good though.”

9. Classic Apple Crisp (Brown-Eyed Baker)

10. Peanut Butter Overload Cake (Brown-Eyed Baker)

I made this cake for my nineteenth birthday and it was probably the best thing I’ve ever made.

Maddi is a senior who enjoys working with preschoolers, laughing with her friends, and singing songs such as Baby pull me closer in the backseat of your Smartcar
Gwen is a senior, English major, and co-CC of Her Campus Skidmore. She spends a lot of time watching Pretty Little Liars and Fixer Upper, listening to music, staring at her comptuer screen and wishing words would come easier, and waiting for the New York Islanders to win another Stanley Cup (preferably at the Coli). Also, she really likes cheese and is trying to learn to skateboard. It's not going very well.