This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

This week I had the opportunity to interview my fellow sister, APEX team member, and our own Student Body President – Anna McCarthy! Anna is the epitome of what a SJU hawk should be- fearless, strong, and adventurous! Her smile and personality can be seen from miles away! Whether she is working hard in the Senate office or sitting outside on (her favorite!) library steps; Anna’s passion and drive are to be admired!

Major: Communications and Digital Media

Minor: Marketing and LEO (Leadership, Ethics, Organizational Sustainability)

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

AM: I am Student Body President of  the SJU senate, fellow for the beautiful social research collaborative (associated with the communications department), and a founding sister of Phi Sigma Sigma Sorority

HC: What is one of your favorite traditions/ days at SJU?

AM: When we have our first nice day out! The weather is beautiful- people sit outside the library steps and the cherry blossoms are all in bloom! It reminds me of my first visit to SJU. I did with Walk with a Hawk and I remember seeing how gorgeous the campus was in full bloom. It makes me feel so happy and in a good mood!

HC: What is your favorite accomplishment that the Senate has done?

AM: I am so proud of the senate this year for accomplishing a wide range of things! I am extremely happy to see the sexual health initiative take off after working on it for a year! It will affect students in a positive manner and I love that everyone supports it. We even have a committee!!

HC: Do you have any advice for SJU students?

AM: Find upperclassman that can help lead you during your time here! You will feel connected! Also, be open minded to anything and everything at SJU. There are so many opportunities for all students! Some of my best memories from SJU have been when I tried something outside of my comfort zone- it is always worth the risk. So go ahead and do the retreat, go on APEX, rush! They are scary, but always pay off; that is when I have learned and grown the most! I always say that, “When you are uncomfortable that is when you grow the most.”   

HC: Where can we look for you during your final months on Hawk Hill?

AM: The Senate office in Campion or the tables outside the library where I study!!

Anna is so grateful for anyone and everyone at SJU who has contributed to her life- from faculty to staff to students! Make sure to watch out for Anna, we are certain to see great things from her!

HCXO,

Paige