SJU’s Hidden Gem: Collegiate Challenge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

If you are thinking about signing up check out this article to learn about why you need to experience this trip!

Collegiate Challenge is a student organization that works with Habitat for Humanity affiliates throughout the United States. It is an immersion program that will take place May 27th through June 3rd, 2017. The program provides opportunities for students to place themselves in an environment where they are not only able to meet new people but also travel to different parts of the country to help serve different regions. Paul Karoly ’17 is one of the student coordinators for this year’s trip and when I asked him what he was most excited about he said: “I’m most excited for working with my amazing partner Angela and seeing the program come together as a whole. It’ll be the best way to end my SJU career”. Part of the mission statement says, “The emphasis of these trips shall be on both serving communities outside of Philadelphia and immersing our students into the culture, customs, and unique problems of those communities.” Leader Matt Stuart ‘17 said, “I’m most excited to see participants on the trip that find something new within themselves, whether it’s the courage to sign up or the true passion to serve. That feeling is worth every minute!”

My first Collegiate Challenge trip was last May when I traveled with my group of 14 awesome people to Goose Creek, South Carolina for the week. Throughout our week we volunteered with the Berkley County Habitat for Humanity. My leader from last year, Ashley Conrad ’17, who is also a leader again said, “Collegiate Challenge is so important because we get an amazing opportunity to travel around the country and help people that are in need receive the housing that they deserve”. It was so gratifying to see the progress of the house because of all the work we put into it. The beginning of the week entailed us and we built shelves out of old bedside tables to help create more space for the Restore to store items they are trying to sell. We also worked for much of the week on putting up and building walls to add to the foundation of the house. Greta Shanley ’18, says “I’m looking forward to traveling and experiencing an entirely different community with members of my own wonderful community. When you have shared values and experiences with others and open your hearts and minds to new experiences together the best kind of learning and memory-making occurs.”

Collegiate Challenge is the hidden gem of Saint Joe’s so be sure to sign up and immerse yourself into this amazing program! 

HCXO,

Brynna