SJU For All: Jesuit Students Marching For Those Who Can’t

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

“No ban, no wall, we are SJU For All!”

On Tuesday January 31st, students gathered together to march in solidarity for those who couldn’t. The SJU March for All was started via a Facebook group and within 20 hours news was buzzing around campus, posters were made, and over 200 students and faculty were ready for their voices to be heard. The march started at the chapel in front of the statue Pope Francis blessed a little over a year ago. The statue is titled “Synagoga and Ecclesia in Our Time” which signifies friendship and peace between different religions. It was an extremely fitting starting point for the March for All. The march then traveled across campus, across City Ave, and ended up at the statue of St. Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Jesuits that SJU proudly represents. Students and faculty then began to tell their stories regarding immigration and their families. 

Here’s a peak into some of the SJU community who marched with pride, love and acceptance for all. 

(via @sjuwomenlead)

“I really enjoyed being a part of the SJU March for All. It was the first protest I have been a part of. It made me happy to know that my school stands up for diversity and inclusion.” – Amanda Hagen ‘18

(Lauren Fick, ’18)

“I participated in the SJU March for All because I truly believe in the inclusion of every person, no matter where they’re from. I loved seeing so many different faces from every organization marched with and for those who have been blocked by the Trump administration’s ban. This March really showed off our Jesuit values and how strong of a community St. Joe’s is! I’ve never been prouder to be a Hawk.” – Tess Hill ‘18

“The March for All was a living representation of our Jesuit education and faith in action. So often we are quick to say ‘well, it doesn’t concern me’ or ‘it’s none of my business’ when we hear of issues of social justice. But our Jesuit education shows us that it IS our business and that we are called to use our voices to stand with the oppressed. I think that the March for All was an impressive start and I hope that the momentum remains strong. All of humanity need us. We need to remain steadfast in our support for each other. If we just take 6 minutes out of our day to call our representatives, we actually can make a difference.” – Aly Homan ‘17

(Tess Hill ’18)

“It was really amazing to see such an outpouring of love, passion, and justice from a community I hold so close to my heart. Being civically engaged has never been more important in our lifetime, especially in this sociopolitical climate. I’m so proud that I’m in an environment where there is an abundance of individuals that can understand this. The march was a beautiful demonstration of the ideals Saint Joseph’s represents. There is still a lot of work to be done but I’m confident in our SJU family.” – Cass Muratore ’18 

(Lauren Fick, ’18)

“It’s amazing how they pulled it all together. I’m very happy that I went and that they had it. It showed me how we truly live the Jesuit ideals of men and women for others. It showed me how supportive and caring our SJU community is.” – Lauren Fick ‘18

(via @sjucampusministry)

“The SJU March for All was an incredible way for students, faculty and staff to express their deepest support for those who are suffering. As Jesuit educated individuals, we are encouraged to be with and for others, which is exactly what was promoted with this event. The march was an easy and powerful way for us to ignite change and spread acceptance, hope and love.” – Olivia Cicalese ‘18

(via @sju_oid)

Proud to be a Hawk today and everyday!

HCXO,

Katie