News Flash: Your Week in One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Fast-food workers across the country strike for higher wages.

On Thursday fast-food workers walked out of work and on to the streets to protest in 100 different cities across the country. A group of labor advocates led by the Service Employees International Union are organizing these protests. The group is seeking to raise the federal minimum wage, which is currently $7.25 an hour. Restaurants have responded saying that a wage increase would lead to a large increase in prices for the consumers. The protesters are not looking for small change to come from their one day walk out, a popular chant for the group has been “Fight for 15!” referring to a $15.00 an hour minimum wage. These protests have come at an opportune time. Bothe Pope Francis and President Obama have spoken about the trouble with growing income inequality in the United States.

See NBC 10’s news report on this issue here

Record numbers participate in Cyber Monday.

The Monday after Thanksgiving, and after all the Black Friday weekend madness has been dubbed “Cyber Monday” in recent years. This year a record breaking 131 million Americans (55% of all shoppers) shopped online on Cyber Monday, 2 million more than in 2012.  Shopping online provides shoppers with great deals without having to brave the masses on Black Friday.

Want to see a distribution center on cyber Monday? Click here

Sandy Hook Elementary shooting 911 tapes are released.

On Wednesday police released the 911 tapes recorded from calls during the Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting in December 2012.  News outlets have been forced to make some unpopular decisions on what to air and what not to air. Most media outlets, including Fox and CNN, have decided to sensor the tapes airing some parts but not the more disturbing. ABC and NBC have decided to report on the release, but that they will not air the recordings. One Newtown official, Board of Selectmen member Patricia Llodra, urged the media to “ask yourself, media person, what is the public good and how do I balance that against the hurt?”

Take a poll about how you feel the tapes should be handled here.

Obama promotes Healthcare.gov to show the benefits of the heath-care law.

Heathcare.gov has been riddled with technical issues since it’s inception over two months ago. Now that the website has been fixed, traffic has never been higher, with 750,000 visitors on the first day after the upgrades fixes most glitches in the site. The White house has decided to launch a three-week campaign to contest the bad press the program has gotten since October 1st. During the campaign President Obama endeavors to sell the Affordable Healthcare Act to the public, essentially the president will be giving a sales pitch. Obama said, “We’re not repealing it – not as long as I’m president.”

See clips from Obama’s campaign here.

Hi! Name is Ally, and I'm from the Lehigh Valley in PA. I am a sophomore Marketing major, Spanish minor at Saint Joseph's University. I am very excited to on the editorial team for Her Campus SJU!