This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

It’s time for women to recognize that weight lifting can and should be an integral part of their exercise routine because resistance training will not only make you burn more calories than just plain cardio, but it will also help to strengthen bones.

So, the question is why do women have the misconception that lifting weight will make you look like a man? In fact, according to the National Center for Health Statistics, only about 20 percent of women practice strength training. The number of women incorporating weight training into their routines should increase because the benefits are much higher than the perceived cons.

Lifting weights three to four times a week will not only improve muscle tone and decrease inches on your waist, arms, legs, and overall body but it will have positive effects on your mood by helping to burn off the stresses of life.

How many times do you go to the gym and see all the cardio machines being used for more than by the same people and yet the individual results for those performing just cardio are not noticeable? The best way to change your body structure is through building lean muscle mass which can be done through resistance exercise. Maintaining more muscle will boost your metabolism since it is an active tissue and improve fat burning.

Having high intensity on any cardio machine will decrease your body fat by applying a 30 min workout but this does not build muscle mass. Working out with weights can be an intimidating thing if you’re starting your weight loss journey, but it can be rewarding when you begin seeing results and get stronger.

It is often best to begin a weight training program under the guidance of a personal trainer so that you can get a comprehensive workout routine put in place and so they can guide you through each exercise to ensure you are using the proper motions. Once you have the mechanics down, you start finding new exercises for different muscle groups that you want to work on.

Why weights? When you are lifting weights, you are losing body fat as we explained earlier, you also gain strength without looking like a bodybuilder and as a result, you decrease any health issues such as diabetes, high blood pressure, a decrease in bone density, and a more positive. You must keep in mind that when you exercise you must also practice good eating habits because both go hand to hand with each other. You can’t expect to lose weight if you are going to the gym 3-5 times a week and eating McDonald’s or any fast food place there needs to be a balance and consistency in order to see results.