jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My First Tattoo Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Getting a tattoo can be a both nerve wracking and satisfying experience.

My tattoo is stretched from the middle of my neck down my spine reading, “God gives His toughest battles to His strongest soldiers.” I chose this quote because I feel like it summarizes my life well. And I want a reminder everyday that He chose me to fight my specific fight.

I never thought that I would be the type to get a tattoo. In fact I never wanted one before. I also didn’t know I would get a belly piercing, do random things with my hair and go to the places I’ve gone. I am known for being very spontaneous in my life. I love experimenting and going with whatever phase feels right in the moment.

But I also do not like to do what everyone else is doing so it came as a surprise to me when I actually did this. It was in March of this year when I decided I was getting a tattoo. Only a few of my friends knew about it and I believe I told them that same week.

When thinking about getting a tattoo I faced thoughts of what my parents would say, if this was really what I wanted and, that I was going to have to live like this for the rest of my life. But when you’re this young these are common questions to ask yourself.

Like I’ve said in some of my other articles, I’m a “preacher’s daughter.” I could not help but picture the look on my parent’s faces as the needle hit my spine. However, they do know how random I am and, that I’m always willing to thoroughly explain myself with reason.

I’m not going to lie, when you want a tattoo you question yourself as they give you that waiver form. You think about all the possible things that could go wrong. Something felt very off when I was sitting there. It’s like I was dreaming. I thought to myself, “I’m not really getting a tattoo am I?” I’m the last person you would even think would have one. However, these were normal thoughts and it was probably just because this was something I’ve never done before.

When it comes to pain, I don’t have much advice for you because I have a high pain tolerance. I can say that when you see someone getting a tattoo on TV, it psychs you up because you’ve always wondered what that feels like. Unlike on TV mine didn’t hurt. And my experience was opposite of what everyone else told me. Yeah, I know so helpful.

Lastly, you are going to have to live with this for the rest of your natural born life. Yes, let that sink in.

I was sort of in denial about this when I was getting mine. Then I had this week-long panic attack. I sat there and thought about my future wedding and how annoying it would look with my wedding dress and, how I would grow old and it would start to fade and be ugly and stuff. But that’s totally normal too! You may regret it for awhile but you’ll get over it.

Today I am very proud of my tattoo and have adjusted well to joining the tatted for life club. But it is not for everybody. So, be cautious when deciding if getting a tattoo is for you.

My name is Tiona, I go by T and I have a passion for writing and informing people on issues and media in the world. I'm from Sacramento, CA and I'm in my 3rd year studying PR and Dance. I love old school music, traveling, dancing, and making a difference. My favorite color is yellow, I love basketball, and fashion/beauty. I'm a very straight foward and lowkey person. After college I'd like to get my Cosmetology license and also go on to graduate school to study fashion and/or performing arts. 
Tiana is a senior at San Jose State University and she is learning to take each day one step at a time while adjusting to life in the Bay Area. She's often watching YouTube videos on D.I.Y projects or hair care, but majority of the time she's watching Parks and Rec episodes while pretending to do homework. In the midst of all that homework dodging she's also casually planning her dream wedding.