nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

March For Our Lives Takes Over the Nation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Today in the media, it seems that there are threats of possible shootings on campuses all over the country. From elementary schools to high schools to even Universities, it seems as though each school has been threatened and now we all wonder who’s next. Schools are not taking these threats lightly and students are avoiding to attend school knowing that their lives are in possible danger.According to CNN, “ We’re only 11 weeks into 2018, and there have been 17 school shootings where someone was hurt or killed.That averages out to 1.5 shootings a week.”

Many Americans have been outraged by the lack of action of our government. They are demanding for stricter gun regulations in order to stop the gun-violence epidemic.According to The Chicago Tribune, “Since 2000, there have been more than 188 shootings at schools and universities.” Now the question is when will the gun-violence stop?

The only suggestion to stopping gun-violence by the government is to arm teachers since the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland,Fla., which according to the Gallup poll three-fourths of teachers are opposed to. The students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas have used their First Amendment rights to raise awareness of gun violence. They have started movements that have inspired many Americans to participate in the movement in order to move towards stricter gun laws.

A month after the Parkland, Fla. shooting, thousands of students participated in a 17-minute walk out to show their support for strict gun control laws. Now a national march occurred on Mar.24 organized by the Marjory Stoneman Douglas students called “March For Our Lives.” Many walked out of their homes with many signs demanding for gun control and children as young as 5-years-old walked alongside their parents with signs questioning if they were next. Teachers and students held signs where they demand more books and not bullets. Whether the march was in California or in Washington D.C., they all stood in solidarity chanting for change.

Although many believe that marching and chanting will not make a change, “March For Our Lives” was a platform used to vocalize and raise awareness of the dangers we face with gun violence. Now the question remains how many more lives will be taken until a change will occur? What will it take until our government stops sending thoughts and prayers and decides it is time for action?

To learn more about gun control go to ProCon and formulate your opinion and stance.

I am an aspiring broadcast journalists working hard to fulfill my dream career. I come a big Mexican family and was always taught to work hard for what I want, nothing will ever be handed to me. I also learned that there is no one I need to prove myself to except for me. I am finishing my studies at SJSU, majoring in journalism with an academic focus in Spanish. I come from a Spanish speaking background and hope to utilize my Spanish in my future career as a journalist. After college I plan to find a place in the entertainment industry and host numerous red carpets and also go back to school and get into the field of real estate. Real estate you may ask? Yes, real estate, I have many things I want to do in life because I am not a person who only settles on one thing. If I had a super power I would choose being in many places at once. I want to earn many academic degrees, visit many countries and learn a piece of their culture, meet new people all over the world, travel and make an impact in the world for the good. While my mind goes crazy with many ideas, I like to relax at home while drinking and tasting different wines, laying in bed and binge watching shows on Netflix.
Shellise West is the current campus correspondent at San Jose State University. Majoring in journalism with a minor in radio, television and film she plans to not fall short of fulfilling her dream as a sports reporter. A Bay Area native her hobbies include singing, dancing and listening to music. Follow Shellise on Twitter @SoulfulPenned.