How to Stay Healthy During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Halloween is over and fall is in full effect, and that means the holiday season is officially here. Thanksgiving is just around the corner so you’re probably excited about all the delicious food, drinks, and desserts. But what happens after all the turkey and Christmas cookies? Besides the obvious dreading of overcrowded malls and Mariah Carey’s Christmas album on repeat, you might also be concerned with how much holiday weight you are going to carry into the new year. So, how do you stay fit under your winter sweaters when the holidays are so delicious?

Here are a few tips on how to enjoy the holiday season and stay in good shape at the same time.

Drink a lot of water. 

​​​I know you’ve probably heard it a thousand times but staying hydrated is so important. Especially, when you may be eating heavier meals and enjoying more sweets. Water will keep your metabolism moving which will prevent your body from holding extra water weight. Water will also keep your skin glowing and clear of acne.

Exercise

Once again I know this is nothing new, but think of how crowded the gym is going to be in a few months with all the “New Year’s resolutioners.” Instead of waiting until after winter break commit to cardio 3 times a week and add in a couple of strength training sessions right now while the gyms are empty. This way you’ll be able to afford that extra helping of stuffing. Plus, exercise will help you burn extra calories, and the endorphins will help alleviate the stress from finals and last minute Christmas shopping.

Eat small meals throughout the day

When I was younger I was so excited to eat Thanksgiving dinner that I would starve myself all day to save room for the big meal. Now, I have learned that to keep your metabolism up you should eat about 5 or 6 small meals a day. So, if you are attending a big Thanksgiving dinner be sure to eat a hearty breakfast, a couple of protein-rich snacks, and a light lunch. This way you are giving your body energy throughout the day and it will burn calories more efficiently and you’ll still have room for turkey and those delicious sides.

Eat vegetables with your meals

In these coming months, you might be invited to several potlucks and holiday parties filled with so much food you’ll practically be waddling out the door. To balance out all the carbs and sugary choices, make sure you choose a salad before the meal or add some veggies to your plate. Let’s face it, as collegiates we may not be getting all the fruits and vegetables we should be getting to support a healthy diet. So be sure to eat those peas and carrots like Mom used to tell you whenever you can to balance out all those starchy sides and sweet desserts that taste so good!

Avoid mindless eating

The last tip for navigating through the holiday festivities is to make smart eating choices. While waiting for dinner, skip the chips and dip and just drink water to avoid empty calories. You don’t have to starve yourself or refuse your favorite side. Just get a reasonable portion of all those delectable meats and sides and wait a while before going back for seconds. You might find that you are full and then you can take the rest home.

Remember, staying in shape is less about the numbers on a scale and more about maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Some days you might be totally on your fit game and other days you might slip and eat a whole plate of sugar cookies while watching “A Christmas Story.” It takes some effort but you can avoid unnecessary indulgences this holiday season and still have have a good time filled with food and family .

Shaleesha Walker is a senior psychology major at San Jose State University. She enjoys coffee almost as much as a Gilmore, and her not-so-secret obsession is binge watching Grey's Anatomy reruns on Netflix. She also has a love for bunnies which is why she sports cute bunny socks on the daily.
Shellise West is the current campus correspondent at San Jose State University. Majoring in journalism with a minor in radio, television and film she plans to not fall short of fulfilling her dream as a sports reporter. A Bay Area native her hobbies include singing, dancing and listening to music. Follow Shellise on Twitter @SoulfulPenned.