Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Five Low Cost Ideas For Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is an annual holiday that’s on February 14, which has special significance for those that are in a loving relationship or have a person that they have feelings for. Celebrating this annual holiday and showering your significant other with lavish gifts can become quite expensive. According to the National Retail Federation’s annual survey conducted by Prosper Insights & Analytics, U.S., consumers are expected to spend an average $143.56 on Valentine’s Day as 55 percent of the population celebrates this year, which is an increase from last year’s $136.57. This can create additional stress on relationships due to financial factors as people trying to express their affection for their significant other with gestures such as; candy, gift cards, flowers, jewelry or a romantic dinner. Instead of spending hundreds of dollars on expensive gifts, why not consider other options for celebrating Valentine’s Day to keep the cost down? There are five low cost ideas on where to take your loved one on this romantic day without spending money and at the same time providing an unforgettable time.

1) Take a hike

(by Cristi- Stock photos)

You can be creative by making this a picnic day after you long hike. Going for a long hike can be romantic by enjoying the beautiful scenery and getting away from the distractions and pressures of everyday life.

2) Dinner and a movie

Make your favorite dish with the help of your partner and after dinner you can top it off with your favorite movie.

3) Make it a game night

Game night can be exciting when playing with your partner. This can include games such as; chess, battleship, card games and trivia games. But also for those online game lovers this can be an opportunity to include your significant and let them learn the game so they can feel connected and included.

4) Drive down memory lane

This can consist of going back to the very first date you had with that special person by going by each place you went to and remembering how the date went.

5) A scrapbook

Make a scrap project with all the pictures ever taken including putting the dates, times, and places where the picture was taken. Decorate the book with a special touch and share stories on what happened that day.

Not only can these activities bring you both closer together but they are also low cost and can is more intimate and personal vs. going to a traditional dinner and getting flowers. Sometimes a little creativity can go a long way especially on this special day.

Shellise West is the current campus correspondent at San Jose State University. Majoring in journalism with a minor in radio, television and film she plans to not fall short of fulfilling her dream as a sports reporter. A Bay Area native her hobbies include singing, dancing and listening to music. Follow Shellise on Twitter @SoulfulPenned.