This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

*The following opinion is that of the author

What is up with this crazy appreciation for being a side chick and why are women proud of it?

I’m sorry to burst anyone’s bubble but it does not look strong, sophisticated or savage for a young women to want be a part of this childish game of being a side chick. It looks like we are really that far gone and that there is no hope for our generation after all.

There once was a time when women were serenaded in the music industry. Men would appreciate how graceful she was and how much he loved her. Not only that, they respected women in songs in general. And now ladies, we can’t even respect ourselves?

Of course men are going to rap about this generation of women negatively and degrade them. With this type of behavior they are acting like they want that kind of attention.

Wake up ladies!

It is not just the lyrics to a song.

This is our reality.

This is the reality we are creating for ourselves and for our future sons and daughters.

You need to create your own boundaries and your own mindset. You need to set your standards and require men to respect you and your outcome will begin to change. I wouldn’t be speaking on this if it wasn’t coming from my own experience. Women need to come together and work as a team to change the fate of our future, because together we are unstoppable!

If you really want respect from a guy, it’s not going to come from a platform that singers and rappers like SZA and Cardi B create for you.

I understand that it is so hard in this day and age to continue to stand strong to find someone worth the love we have to offer. But it is important to remember that you ARE worth it. And you DO have the power to change what’s next for our future.

Stay Woke.

My name is Tiona, I go by T and I have a passion for writing and informing people on issues and media in the world. I'm from Sacramento, CA and I'm in my 3rd year studying PR and Dance. I love old school music, traveling, dancing, and making a difference. My favorite color is yellow, I love basketball, and fashion/beauty. I'm a very straight foward and lowkey person. After college I'd like to get my Cosmetology license and also go on to graduate school to study fashion and/or performing arts. 
Tiana is a senior at San Jose State University and she is learning to take each day one step at a time while adjusting to life in the Bay Area. She's often watching YouTube videos on D.I.Y projects or hair care, but majority of the time she's watching Parks and Rec episodes while pretending to do homework. In the midst of all that homework dodging she's also casually planning her dream wedding.