This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Anxiety, where does one even begin with a battle that constantly makes us college students break down in the worst possible times? Many of us can have a mental break down, crying trying to explain what we feel and how sometimes it may feel impossible to cope with and there will still be someone who does not believe it or think that it is easy to get over and there is nothing to worry about. According to Anxiety and Depression Association of America, a survey in 2011, more than 62 percent of students withdrew from college with mental health problems. College is ultimately very stressful but trying to balance relationships, work and finances can overwhelm someone and lead them to feel like they are in a dark hole.

Do you understand how anxiety feels?

Coming from a personal experience, when I feel overwhelmed I tend to start having negative thoughts. I begin to start feeling anxious and lash out at others when I am trying to accomplish something. Then everything I read from an assignment starts to make no sense then I feel a sense of frustration. Then it leads me to start feeling hot and my heart starts racing until I break down and cry.Sometimes when I cry it leads to me feeling like I cannot breathe and start hyperventilating.The most common experience of anxiety is fatigue, restlessness, irritability, excessive worry, feeling of impending doom, poor concentration, palpitations, etc.

After my experience with anxiety attacks, I thought maybe it was time to seek help from a doctor. The only way they told me to deal with anxiety was to take antidepressants, for me I knew there has to be another way. I do not like depending on pills to make me feel better because I prefer natural remedies than medication.

What I do to cope with anxiety.

So far what I learned to do was make a plan for the week so that way I could stay organized and know what needs to be done. Then when I am doing an assignment, if I feel overwhelmed I close my laptop walk away for a couple of minutes and practice breathing techniques that I learned in my stress management class from this spring 2018 semester all you do is close your place your dominant hand on your belly and breathe in for three seconds then breathe out. It is a way of releasing the bad energy.Also going out and exercise is a way of coping in a healthy way. Drinking tea like chamomile and green tea help with calming your nerves.

Anxiety can be a difficult experience for many of us but trust me you are not alone.

I am an aspiring broadcast journalists working hard to fulfill my dream career. I come a big Mexican family and was always taught to work hard for what I want, nothing will ever be handed to me. I also learned that there is no one I need to prove myself to except for me. I am finishing my studies at SJSU, majoring in journalism with an academic focus in Spanish. I come from a Spanish speaking background and hope to utilize my Spanish in my future career as a journalist. After college I plan to find a place in the entertainment industry and host numerous red carpets and also go back to school and get into the field of real estate. Real estate you may ask? Yes, real estate, I have many things I want to do in life because I am not a person who only settles on one thing. If I had a super power I would choose being in many places at once. I want to earn many academic degrees, visit many countries and learn a piece of their culture, meet new people all over the world, travel and make an impact in the world for the good. While my mind goes crazy with many ideas, I like to relax at home while drinking and tasting different wines, laying in bed and binge watching shows on Netflix.
Shellise West is the current campus correspondent at San Jose State University. Majoring in journalism with a minor in radio, television and film she plans to not fall short of fulfilling her dream as a sports reporter. A Bay Area native her hobbies include singing, dancing and listening to music. Follow Shellise on Twitter @SoulfulPenned.