3 Reasons Why I Am Investing in Myself Now Rather Than Later

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Your 20s are one of the most interesting years of your life. These are the years where you start to discover who you really are. You want to go to grad school? Do it. You want to travel the world? Do it. You want to place yourself in an uncomfortable, but challenging experience? Do it! You learn what you want and what you don’t want and you are constantly working to become the person you want to be and create the life you want to live. Now, I’ve only been in my 20s for 2 years now, but I realized that it is never too late to start investing in yourself. Here are 3 reasons why I am investing in myself now rather than later.

1. I am young enough to push my limits:

I am a single 22-year-old who is about to graduate college without student loans. The possibilities for me are endless. I am at that age where I can push myself simply because I have the energy to do so. I want to give it my all now because these opportunities might not be here for me once I get older. I am young and hungry for success, which means I can sleep less, live off of caffeine and I’ll be just fine—for now at least.

2. These are my selfish years:

I am spending my “free” time building a better me. I want to understand myself better than anyone else understands me. Many people within my generation are deciding to hold off on marriage and building a family while they focus on their own personal developments. This is a time where I can enjoy myself to the fullest before I have a career, house, and kids to worry about. I have bigger dreams than settling down right now, so I’m going to check things off my bucket list while I’m young and single.

3. I am my #1 priority:

Your 20’s are the most important time to invest in yourself. This is the perfect time to make mistakes and learn from them, in fact this is considered acceptable. I grew up in a hispanic culture where I saw the women around me take care of everyone else and they were praised for it. Your happiness should begin and end with you. I am putting myself first because I am the most important person in my life right now.

As my college career is coming close to an end and I’m starting to figure out life, I realize that I want to live every chapter of my life to the fullest. I don’t want to miss out on what life has to offer me. I am not going to wait to live my life. For now, my life choices are all about me and only me.

Once upon a time, I was a little girl with big dreams that I promised myself to make real one day. That little girl with dreams became a woman with a vision. Hello! My name is Jocelyn Arellano. I am a Senior at San Jose State University who is studying Psychology and Public Relations. I discovered my love for writing at a young age. My thoughts were translated into a journal I kept by my bedside, then I took it online to (you guessed it!) MySpace, after that it was on Facebook, fast forward I took my thoughts onto LinkedIn and finally onto HerCampus! If my writing empowers at least one person, I have done my job :) Everything I do, I do like a girl! Feel free to follow me on Twitter (@_ajocelyn) #LikeaGirl #GRLPWR
Shellise West is the current campus correspondent at San Jose State University. Majoring in journalism with a minor in radio, television and film she plans to not fall short of fulfilling her dream as a sports reporter. A Bay Area native her hobbies include singing, dancing and listening to music. Follow Shellise on Twitter @SoulfulPenned.