Top Five Girl Scout Cookies To Try This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Whether you have some female little cousins or family friends or you have walked into a grocery store, bank or pretty much any public building the last few weeks, you probably know that it is Girl Scout cookie season. This means that from roughly January through March, depending on where you live, Girl Scouts will be outside your local Target and knocking on your door offering you delicious treats to support their activity. Types of cookies and dates they are available will differ depending on where you live, but no matter what there is one consensus – they are delicious. So today I am ranking the top five Girl Scout cookies you should buy this cookie season.

A note: This year there are eleven types of Girl Scout cookies, however due to the fact that some are changed every year and some are only available in certain regions, I have not tried them all. Hence I will be ranking the five types of cookies that are available every year.

#5: Thin Mints

I know this may come as a shock to you. Usually, Thin Mints are #1 on mosts people’s lists. But I will explain why – I hate mint. Whether in gum, toothpaste, tea or cookie flavor, I just hate the taste. I have never tried a Thin Mint, and I probably never will.

However, many love them and buy them every year. Emma Weimer, a junior at Simmons and a former Girl Scout, says, “Thin mints are my favorite because they satisfy my chocolate fix with the perfect amount of mint to add to the taste. They’re like mint chocolate chip ice cream in cookie form.”

#4: Shortbread/Trefoils

This cookie is the simplest of them all, but that does not make it below the rest. Sometimes all you need is a plain shortbread cookie! And, with about 40 cookies per box, it makes them one of the best deals compared to some of the other options.

#3: Peanut Butter Sandwiches/Do-si-dos

If you love pure peanut butter, this is the cookie for you. It’s like a peanut butter Oreo – two oatmeal cookies with a peanut butter center. That’s… about it. But it sure is delicious!

#2: Peanut Butter Patties/Tagalongs

This cookie is like a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup – but better. Coated in chocolate with a crisp cookie center and a layer of gooey peanut butter, this cookie satisfies every craving. A little trick? Stick them in the freezer for a few hours. You can also crush them up to use as ice cream toppings! These are one of my two favorite cookie types, but have to take runner up to…

#1: Caramel DeLites/Samoas

I could eat an entire box of these cookies in two minutes. Partially that is because I love coconut, but in all reality it is because these cookies are just that tasty. First, there’s the texture. Chewy coconut and caramel on top of a crisp shortbread with smooth chocolate on top. Then there’s the taste – the sweet coconut with the luxurious caramel mix in a way I would have never thought would taste good, but it totally does. I have been eating these cookies since I was a kid and they fill me with nostalgia with every bite.

Go to http://www.girlscouts.org/en/cookies/all-about-cookies/How-to-Buy.html to find a cookie booth near you, or just ask your local Girl Scout – they are always happy to sell!

Emily Cole

Simmons '19

Emily graduated Simmons University in fall of 2019 with a bachelors degree in Public Relations and Journalism with a concentration in radio and social media. During her time at Simmons, she was also a content writer for the Simmons University chapter of Her Campus! When Emily is not thinking of her next article topic, she is working on her radio show on The Shark: Simmons Radio, exploring Boston, or binge-watching the latest nerdy show on Netflix. Find Emily on Instagram and Twitter at @emilycoleyeah