brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

Ever feel extremely awkward in front of the lens? I’m sure we’ve all been there when someone says, “Let’s take a pic!” and you’re so caught off guard that you just smile awkwardly? Here are some ways to get out of that rut!

If you find yourself asking: Where do I put my hands? Why is my Instagram full of the same poses? Could I look anymore awkward? What pose should I do? You’re not alone. Many of us struggle to find a creative way to take a photo. Here’s some simple poses to improve your photo game!

1. Use Props!

If you’re unsure of where to put your hands, holding something is a great way to fix that! It also fits into almost every location. If you’re at the beach, tilt your sunglasses. If you’re at a bar, hold your drink!

2. Piggyback Buddies

This is one of my favorite poses with my sister! It’s super cute and often times a great candid moment since you’re laughing at how the both of you need to hit the gym more.

3. Foot Pics!

If you’re not looking your best or are just looking to show off your shoes, this is a go-to!

4. Pose with your pet!

Who doesn’t love pets? Not only are they adorable companions, they totally distract from any flaws you may see in yourself. (Which I’m sure there isn’t any, bc you’re perfect!)

5. Honeymooners!

Nothing cuter than a nice pick-me-up pic!

6. Look back at it!

“They thought the view was pretty, but I thought they were prettier.”

7. Hand Holding!

This pose is perfect for best friends and couples! It’s subtle yet adorable!

8. Foot Popping!

This is an adorable pose for best friends!

9. Kissing!

The perfect way to show your love for a friend or partner!

10. Get Creative!

I hope these ideas help inspire an amazing photoshoot!

Work it!

Photos courtesy of Catelyn Kimball, Erin Fleming, Hannah Traister, and Elaine Baulsir.

21 years old • Maine • Fourth year exercise science student with dreams of becoming a physical therapist